Chapter 40: Renesmee

"Rosalie, pass the morphine

"Rosalie, pass the morphine." Edward demanded, as Bella's pain-filled grunts filled the room.

Seraphina wiped Bella's hair out of her face, towel trailing across Bella's forehead and collecting her sweat.

"Breathe, Bella" she instructed, lying the cool rag on her forehead "Just breathe, everything's gonna be alright."

Rosalie's shaking hands grabbed the syringe, as Alice's voice spoke above the gasps "Carlisle said the placenta must've detached."

Seraphina soothed Bella's cries, as Edward stabbed the needle into her leg "Shhhh, it's okay."

"He's coming as fast as he can, but..."

Rosalie cut her sister off "We'll have to do it."

Rosalie gripped the surgical knife from the bedside table and lowered it to Bella's stomach.

"Rose!" Edward growled, stopping his sister from cutting into his wife "Let the morphine spread."

"There's no time!" she argued "He's dying!"

"Get him out now!" Bella cried, hand reaching up to grip Seraphina for comfort.

Jacob tried to distract Bella "Look at me Bella." Jacob called as Rosalie dug the knife into Bella's abdomen.

Bella ignored him, head tilting back as more screams escaped her.

Her other hand went to slam down, but Seraphina's hand clasped it, both of her hands now being held by her best friend.

"I'm here." Seraphina called causing Bella's eyes to look up towards her "I'm here and I'm with you okay? You look at me!"

Bella's eyes drooped and Seraphina winced as the burning sensation in her chest spread to below her chin.

"Bella, look at me!"

Bella's glazed eyes looked back towards Seraphina and another cry left her lips, this time for both of them as she watched the red lines spread across Seraphina's neck and up to her jaw.

It got silent as Rosalie lifted the knife, Seraphina's eyes widening at the look the vampire had on her face.

"Rosalie no!" Paul and Seraphina yelled at the same time and he didn't hesitate in throwing himself over Bella and tackled the blonde vampire away before she could lunge.

"Alice get her out of here!" Edward yelled as he moved up closer to his mate.

Bella's cries tore through the atmosphere at an alarming rate causing Seraphina to snap out of her daze.

"Save her!" Jacob yelled "You've got to change her!"

"No!" Seraphina denied "Not while the baby is still in there!"

"She's dying!" Jacob cried, his yell almost as loud as Bella's screams.

"Stay focused Bella." Paul stepped closer to his Alpha and Imprint as he looked at the human, "Keep your heart beating."