66

A/n
Bruh I was in a silly goofy mood and decided to Google "Mai Rika" to see what would come up and it actually suggested my story

And ik it was a pretty specific search but come on! That's pretty cool!I'm actually kinda happy that it showed up, idk what I was expecting lol

I'm actually kinda happy that it showed up, idk what I was expecting lol

Well anyway let's continue.

..............

Mai had wondered into a bakery own by an old woman called Hahaoya. The elderly woman asked Mai to call her Sobo, a nickname often used by grandmothers.
She then offered Mai some food, Though at first Mai refused she ended up accepting a small muffin and a glass of tea.

Mai looked around the shop, her eyes scanning the decorations. It was fairly old-fashioned like the woman running it, with traditional Japanese paintings that were made with a gentle hand. In the corner was the Initials R.R drawn delicately in cursive.
"So, if you're going to eat my food in return I want you to tell me of the boy that's caught your fancy."
The woman said with a closed eyed smile as Mai began to get nervous again.

"Oh uh... I don't really know what you mean!"
She stammered.

"I'm sure you do."
The older woman said, sipping her own tea from it's elegant teacup before placing it back on it's matching saucer both of which looked hand painted.
In fact when Mai lifted her own cup that was decorated with small red roses she saw the same Initials on her saucer as the ones on the painting R.R. it had been hidden under the cup. The cups and the hung paintings seemed to have a common artist

"Well... I just know him, very well but I've been avoiding him lately."
She honestly said, what's the harm in talking to a stranger about her problems? As long as she didn't reveal anything important it would be alright.

"Why is that? Tell me dear, sometimes talking to a stranger about your problems will make you feel must better."
The wise woman's words mirrored Mai's own thoughts clearly.

"Well we were friends, in the same class and we got close. He admitted he had feelings for me and I said I felt the same way but... I'm not really sure, I've never been in love and I doubt I've never been loved myself. So how would I know?"
She said taking a calming sip of the tea.

"Oh that's hard to tell dear, depending on the person. Some people feel strongly while others lead with their thoughts rather than emotions.
But I will caution you. Be careful who you love, of rather who you tell you love. I've seen someone unsurely accept feelings, only to find stronger ones later on in life, it isn't a wise decision to move forward in a relationship out of obligation."
The woman said and Mai nodded.

"But I do have feelings for him, but I'm unsure about their strength. I'm scared he's more in love than I am."
Mai said, she cared deeply for him. But what if she was Missing an important ingredient to love? What if she was wrong?

"It seems you do, it appears you care deeply enough to be cautious about his feelings. Just promise me this, you won't say yes to anything, whether romantic or deeper because you wish to spare his feelings. It will lead to a miserable relationship."
The old woman said, standing up and taking the gently painted cups.

"I promise."
Mai agreed, it was a simple request. Something that should go without being said. But the woman felt the need to tell her nonetheless.
"Ma'am- I mean uh... Sobo?"
Called to the woman before she entered the kitchen.

"Yes dear?"
She asked, turning slowly to look at Mai again with her grey eyes staring into Mai's soul.

"Why did you give me tea in the first place?"
Mai asked the woman, speaking the question she'd been thinking this whole time.

"Well you looked like you could use some calming Tea, and to be truly honest You remind me of my daughter."
She said with a fond nostalgic smile.

"You're daughter?"
Mai asked.

"Yes, she actually did most of the artwork in here. Painting was her favorite thing in the world, and while living she filled out house with her works of art."
The woman said Gesturing to the paintings on the wall.

"While living?"
Mai asked, even though she probably shouldn't have. This woman let her into her shop and let her have free food and drink.
"My apologies ma'am, I shouldn't have mentioned it."
She apologized, bowing down.

"That's alright dear, there's nothing wrong with curiosity. My daughter passed several years ago, she was very young but was killed alongside her husband."
The woman said, regret in her grey eyes.

"What was her name?"
Mai asked, things were lining up in a way that she couldn't believe. A shiver ran through her spine like a ghost was placing their hand on her back.

"Rose."