Chapter 3: Abomination/Venomous

Skylar POV:

We were going to Dr. Alan Deaton's office. Gerard figured that Deaton would have a better idea of what was out there. We entered and walked right in, per usual. "...I'm starting to think I need to buy a more prominent 'Closed' sign." Deaton said.

"Hello, Alan. It's been a while. Last I heard, you had retired." Gerald said.

"Last I heard, you followed a code of conduct." Deaton retorted.

"If you hadn't noticed, this body is one of ours." Chris told him, getting irritable.

"I did. I also noticed the gunpowder residue on his fingertips, so don't assume I'll be swayed by your philosophy just 'cause I'll answer a few questions." Deaton told him.

"He was only twenty-four." Chris pointed out.

"Killers come in all ages." Deaton reasoned back.

"All ages, sizes, shapes...It's the last one that concerns us." I said, ending the argument that was building up. Deaton looked up from his work towards me.

"Skylar Argent, the World's Deadliest Huntress. What are you doing here?" Deaton asked.

"Whatever this is, is deemed to be dangerous, so they called me in. How about you tell us what you found?" I explained.

"See this cut? Precise. Almost surgical. This isn't the wound that killed him...this had a more interesting purpose." Deaton twisted Bennet's head and pointed to a small cut on the back of his neck.

"Relating to the spine." I suggested.

"That's right. Whatever made this cut, its laced with a paralytic toxin potent enough to disable all motor functions. These are the cause of death. Notice the patterns on each side?" Deaton than ran his hand over the cuts on Bennet's chest.

"Five for each finger." Chris pointed out.

"For each claw." I corrected, making Chris playfully glare at me before turning back Deaton.

"As you can see, it dug in, slashed upward, eviscerating the lungs and slicing through the bone of the rib cage with ease." As Deaton spoke, he made the movements with his hand.

"Have you ever seen anything like this before?" Chris asked.

"No." Deaton said, sighing.

"Any idea at all what killed him?" I asked.

"No. But, I can tell you it's fast, remarkably strong, and has the capacity to render its victims essentially helpless within seconds." Deaton said.

"If you're saying we should be cautious, we get it." Chris told him, annoyed.

"I'm saying you should be afraid, be very afraid. Because, in the natural world, predators with paralytic toxins use them to catch and eat their prey. This prey wasn't eaten. That means whatever killed him only wanted to kill him. In fact, killing maybe its only purpose." Deaton replied.

After that, we exited the building. "Gerard, is it alright if I go on a patrol ride around town? My nerves are kinda on edge." I asked.

"Well I don't mind, but what's the matter?" Gerard asked. He had quickly learned that I listened to my instincts, gut, and mind. With those three combined, I was a deadly force to be reckoned with.

I sighed, "I feel like someone is watching me and I don't like it. I usually know what's after me."

Gerard smiled briefly, "Have fun, Skylar. Remember school is tomorrow."