Chapter 32: Perishable

Skylar POV:

"He covered you in gasoline?" Derek asked Deputy Parrish, both of us looking at the new fire survivor. Except this one had been covered in gas and set on fire directly, something a human (or even a were-creature) could not survive.

"It's the hair and nails, isn't it?" Lydia asked. "The parts of the body that are essentially dead."

"Well, they should be gone." Derek hummed.

"I was set on fire! All of me should be gone." Parrish reasoned.

"Not if you're like us..." Scott trailed off.

"Like you?" Parrish questioned.

"I don't think he's like us." Derek frowned.

"Then what is he?" Lydia asked.

"Sorry, but I have no idea." Derek shrugged.

"But you knew about Jackson and Kira." Scott reminded.

"This is a little out of my experience." Derek deadpanned before glancing at me. "Sky, you got anything?"

"With surviving a fire?" I raised a brow while shrugging. "There's a lot he could be. Phoenix, Firebird-"

"Aren't those two the same?" Lydia interrupted.

"Actually no, Phoenix's can only be killed by a fire dragon and die of old age. Firebird's can be killed by drowning or being stuffed full of mountain ash." I explained.

"Could he be a Fire Dragon?" Scott suggested.

"Nah, they all died out centuries ago. Plus, Fire would've sensed it." I shook my head before continuing with my list of creatures Parrish could be. "There's also the Hellhound, Jinn, Kapre, Cherufe, Fire Serpent, Fire Giant, and this is a weird one, but a salamander."

"A salamander?" Derek's eyebrows raised, mirth dancing in his eyes.

"Don't ask." I sighed. "Kapre's are mostly in the Philippines, Cherufe's only live near volcanoes, and Fire Giant's are extremely rare. The ones left live in the African mountains. If he was a Fire Serpent or salamander, he'd be more...slimly looking."

"Slimly looking?" Scott looked oddly at me.

"He wouldn't've had just ashes on him, he'd be oozing this type of healing slime. I used to have some, it accelerates the healing about 25 times than the average human's." I explained. "Which leaves us with Hellhound, Jinn, Phoenix, and Firebird."

"Do you have any tips or tricks on how to figure those out?" Lydia questioned, making me narrow my eyes at the Deputy in front of us.

"Yeah..." I hummed, whipping out my silver knife and slicing his hand.

"Ow!" Parrish yelped, the cut healing almost instantly. "What was that for?"

"We can mark off Jinn--he didn't react to silver." I told the others, completely ignoring his question. "I don't know about the other three, we might have to look at the bestiary. Anyone happen to know where Chris is?"

"I haven't heard from him since two nights ago." Scott informed, speaking about the night that he had essentially died.

"Okay, hold on--what's a bestiary?" Parrish finally managed to get a word in, extremely confused. "Actually, that's not even my first question. Just... Just tell me one thing. Are all of you like Lydia? Are you all psychic?"

"Psychic?" Derek's eyebrows raised, glancing between me and Parrish.

"Yeah." Parrish nodded, confident in what he thought our resident Banshee was.