Chapter 34: A Promise To The Dead

Skylar POV:

The alarm going off woke me up. Although, this wasn't the normal alarm clock, this was the alarm to Derek's loft. Grabbing my pistol from the nightstand, I threw my feet over the side of the bed and glanced at Derek. He was handling his own pistol, looking much more comfortable with it than when he first began. But then again, I couldn't forget that he had literally gone through an entire hour of killing/fighting assassins with the Sauer a short week ago.

Clicking the safety off, I checked the windows before going over to my laptop and checking the security system. Shifting through the screens, I was just about to the front entry one before Derek whistled shortly. Looking over at my shoulder at him, he nodded towards the flat door. Nodding in confirmation, I moved to the left of the door and readied myself to shoot the offender.

However, Derek slid open the door to reveal Lydia. Fixing to ask her what she was doing here, she cut me off with a piercing scream, making me wince and back away from the loud noise. Once she was finished, I ignored the acute ringing in my ears and rushed toward her. Since Derek was closer to her, he caught her before she hit the floor, looking at me with emotion-ridden eyes. "Lyds?" I murmured, watching as her green eyes came into focus. "Hey, you with us?"

"Where am I?" Lydia mumbled, looking confused.

"Derek's loft." I supplied. "Did you walk here in the rain?"

"Yes?" Lydia's answer came out more like a question than an answer.

"Okay. Why don't you take a shower and I'll get you a change of clothes? I can take you back to your house." I suggested, taking her from Derek and escorting her up the stairs to our bathroom. Once she was aware enough for me to leave her, I went to get a more casual set of my clothes. Noticing the reserved look that Derek had, I laid my hand on his shoulder. "Hey, you know that I'm not going to let you die on me, right?" I love you too much to lose you now.

"You might not be able to stop it." Derek's regretful eyes met mine. "That was the Banshee side of Lydia, Sky. And even the greatest hunter alive can stop that."

"Well, I've always made a habit of proving you wrong." I stated, refusing to admit that I was possibly going to lose the love of my life. "Wanna bet on it?"

"I'd rather not bet on something that's inevitable." Derek smiled sadly. "Gotta keep your streak up, am I right?"

"Then you definitely are going to owe me 15 bucks." I smirked, pecking his lips before heading back upstairs.

*****(Next Morning)*****

"Okay." Derek looked at the duffle bag of money that Scott had brought this morning with a blank look.

"Don't you wanna know why it took so long to return it?" My little brother questioned, making me bite my lip to keep from letting out a laugh at his tone.

"How much do you make at the animal clinic?" Derek asked.

"Minimum wage." Scott answered, his eyebrows furrowing.

"That's why." Derek shrugged. "Everyone can be tempted, Scott, even a True Alpha."

"You're not angry?" Scott asked.

"It's not even mine." Derek remarked. "It belongs to Peter."

"Where's your money?" Scott asked.

"You're standing on it." Derek informed, making Scott look down. His eyes darting between us two and the floor, Scott blinked a couple of times.