Chapter 27: Muted

Skylar POV:

"The table's Italian." Peter stated, making me roll my eyes as I leaned against the couch behind Derek.

"So are these boots." Braeden shrugged, making eye contact with me since I had been the one to call her here. We had met on one of my first hunts, teaming up to take down an entire pack of killers. "Are we going to talk interior design and fashion, or are we going to talk numbers?"

Peter sighed before writing down a number and shoving it towards her, looking expectantly at the bounty hunter (as I had dubbed her early on in our acquaintance). Braeden looked at the amount proposed before writing down her own quote, passing it back to my kinda best friend. "We're hiring you to find Kate, not assassinate the president." Peter deadpanned.

"I was hired by the Calaveras to find Kate. You're hiring me to find her first." Braeden informed. "Going against the Calaveras is what's going to cost you." Peter let out a quiet growl before writing down another number and giving it to her, only for it to be passed right back to him. Scoffing, the older werewolf threw his hands up in impatience.

"We'll pay." Derek stated, ripping up the paper as Peter turned and stared in disbelief at his nephew. "Just find Kate. That's all we want." Braeden smirked before glancing up at me in slight confusion.

"Why aren't you looking for her?" She questioned.

"Too much going on here." I answered simply, glancing down at Derek before meeting her eyes. "Nice doing business with you." Watching her leave the loft, Peter slammed the door behind her and turned back towards Derek.

"Are you insane?" Peter exclaimed.

"We don't have a choice." Derek stated calmly, braiding my hair as I finished cleaning my gun in preparation for today. "We spent a week looking for her, and came up with nothing."

"If we don't find out who told Kate about the vault, we don't get those bonds back. What do you think I'm gonna do then, huh?" Peter questioned, gradually walking towards his nephew. Finishing the braid, Derek laid a gentle kiss on my shoulder, still listening to the older werewolf behind us. "Get a job? My resume is slightly out of date! We got robbed, Derek. Robbed!" Grabbing Derek's shoulder at the end of his rant, Peter was answered by Derek's letting out a roar, showing his yellow eyes.

"Derek." I murmured, grabbing his arm in effort to calm him down.

"Oh...that's a new look for you." Peter acknowledged as Derek ripped his arm out of his grasp. "What happened to your eyes?"

"I don't know." Derek sighed. "But I'm willing to pay to find out."

"Shit." I cursed, finally looking at the time on my phone. "I'm late for lacrosse practice. See you later, take care." I pecked Derek's lips, his responding 'stay safe' following me as I headed out the door.

*****(Lacrosse Field)*****

"Nice going, Liam!" I called, clapping shortly before returning to observe the happenings of the field.

"Hey, who the hell is that?" Stiles asked, him and Scott getting on either side of me.

"You're late." I hummed. "And that's Liam Dunbar, transfer from Devonford Prep."

"Who would want to transfer from Devonford Prep to Beacon Hills High School?" Scott asked, looking confused.

"That's not important." Stiles interrupted, looking at his best friend. "What's important is, is he going to threaten our place on the team?"