Chapter 22: Riddled

Skylar POV:

Looking up as Scott and Isaac busted out of the doors and onto the roof, I waved slightly before continuing to sharpen my knives. Due to the interaction that I had had with the Oni two nights ago, Derek had refused to allow me to be by myself for long, worried that something would happen to me. Which led to either me staying at his place or him staying at mine and the fact that I was trapped here until he got his fill of smelling Stiles's chemosignals. "He's not here." Derek informed the other two werewolves. "Not anymore."

"You mean, the whole building?" Scott asked.

"Gone." Derek confirmed.

"I'll go tell Stilinski." Isaac told Scott.

"And see if you can find Allison, she's not answering her phone." Scott added, Isaac nodding before taking off again.

"Notice how strong the scent is up here?" Derek asked, apparently choosing that this was the best time for giving Scott yet another lesson about him and his werewolf abilities. "Ever hear of chemo-signals? Chemical signals that communicate emotion. And just our sweat can give off anger, fear, or disgust. Take a deep breath and tell me what you feel."

"...Stress." Scott stated.

"And anxiety." Derek nodded.

"What was he doing up here?" Scott asked.

"I don't know." Derek sighed. "But there was definitely some kind of struggle."

"With who?" Scott questioned.

"Himself." Derek stated plainly, acting rather unaffected by everything.

"Are you two finished covering the basics of werewolfness now?" I interrupted, sliding my knife back into its holster. "Because I've sharpened every knife that I have on me, which is 15 of them. And now I'm bored, so can we please go do something else? Something where I'm useful?"

"She's right, we better start combing the town." Derek sighed. "We'll call you if we find anything." He reassured my little brother before joining me at the door, both of us heading back downstairs. "Why are you so restless?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I hummed.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." Derek sighed, looking at me with a warning look before holding open the stairway door for me.

"The Oni showing up, rumors of a dark spirit, a kid going missing, it's all lining up with another case I had a couple years back." I finally relented, knowing that with how busy the hospital was, no one would be able to really understand what I was saying. "It was a hard one, a really hard one."

"You wanna talk about it?" Derek asked.

"Maybe later, but not now." I smiled slightly.

"Alright, just know that I'm here for you." Derek hummed, holding open the bottom stairway door.

"I know you are." I sighed slightly, biting my lip. "Derek, do you ever think about...well, us?"

"What do you mean, us?" Derek raised a brow.

"Like, did we ever do something wrong by leaving things the way we did?" I reaffirmed, fighting between looking at my feet and looking at his eyes to get a good read on him. "Or if maybe we would've made it if we actually tried long distance?"

"Ever since we broke up." Derek answered softly.

*****(Later)*****