Chapter 39: Broken Glass

Skylar POV:

"Lookin' for Malia." I hadn't heard that much sass in Peter's voice since I was in high school. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for Scott, obviously." Lydia pursed her lips.

"Oh, what a coincidence. I'm looking for them both." I hummed, coming out of the hall closet that I hid in when I heard a car drive up. You could never be too careful in a town like this--especially one where Gerard Argent was the ruler.

"Why?" Peter questioned, neither commenting on where I had been.

"Why are you looking for Malia?" Lydia retorted.

"Parental concern. Why didn't you just call Scott?"

"Why didn't you call Malia?"

"This...we're not...this is...we're not getting very far with this conversation."

"Clearly." I rolled my eyes, peeking out of the window before holding up my phone to display my lack of service. "I'm guessing that both of you don't have any cell service either, and not due to being underground?"

"I can't reach him." Lydia nodded.

"I can't reach her, or anyone." Peter confirmed, making me narrow my eyes in thought. "There's reports of several cell towers around town being down."

"Okay...that's definitely cause for concern." Lydia hummed.

"It's more than that." Peter stated.

"Monroe and Gerard." Lydia sighed.

"They're cutting us off from the outside." Peter reasoned.

"And from each other." Lydia added.

"Which likely means that they've already started amassing troops on their side." Peter continued.

"Then it'd be a damn good idea to find ours, eh?" I commented from the living room, double-checking the loads in my Desert Eagle before sliding it back into my shoulder holster and putting on my jean jacket. "Ideas, anyone?"

"We have a supernatural tracker right here." Peter gestured to the girl in front of us. "We can use her."

"That takes too much time." Lydia shook her head.

"Then perhaps you can use some of your werewolf hunting skills?" Peter looked pointedly at me.

"Okay one, I hunted more than just werewolves." I deadpanned. "Two, that's most reliable when I'm not being hunted myself. Plus, we're in a town full of hunters, Scott and Malia would be careful to not leave anything that I could track."

"Maybe we should go to the Animal Clinic." Lydia suggested.

"That's-"

"Better than anything we have." I shut Peter down, giving him a look. "You two good riding by yourselves? 'Cause I only brought my bike, and it ain't fittin' anyone other than me on it."

"Yeah, we're cool." Peter answered before Lydia could, headed out the backdoor while I looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"I'll be fine." She reassured, placing a placating hand on my bicep. "Trust me."

"I trust you, it's him I don't trust." I informed, smiling down at the slightly shorter female while Peter rolled his eyes at my words. "I'll meet you there."

*****(Animal Clinic)*****

"They haven't been here." Peter stated, leaning against the examination table while I bounced my leg anxiously. There was definitely something going down tonight, and we really needed to find our allies.