Chapter 35: Smoke and Mirrors

Skylar POV:

"I still don't like relying on these things." Derek sighed as he looked at the tableful of weapons.

"I get it, you miss your power. I would too." I frowned.

"It's not about power, it's about being able to help." Derek explained. "I don't like feeling helpless."

"I'm mostly human. Do I look helpless?" I asked.

"You're a much better shot than me." Derek chuckled.

"Do you really think you won't be coming back?" I questioned, placing my hands on the table and leaning against it.

"Not alive." Derek looked everywhere except for me, making me bite the side of my cheek.

"Derek, you know I'm not okay with that." I reminded, tapping his cheek to get his attention. He took my hand and squeezed it, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"I am." Derek murmured. "If it saves Scott and Kira."

"Well, Scott and Kira's lives can be saved just as well as yours can." I hesitated before adding, "Plus, moving to South America by myself would be a little odd."

"You decided?" Derek's eyebrows raised in surprise at my answer.

"Mhmm." I hummed. "The Deadpool's gone, Kate is fixing to be taken care of. And...I put my life on hold when I was 18, it's about time I start living it again. But, to be completely honest, this isn't even enough firepower to take down one Berserker--Kate has at least four."

"She's right." Peter's voice from upstairs made us share an eye roll. "Killing a Berserker is next to impossible. It's not just the firepower, it's breaking the animal spirit from the human."

"Well, all Skylar knows how to do is to trap them and blow them up." Derek chuckled as I placed two grenades in one of my pockets on my belt. "The only person we know with that kind of experience is Argent, and he's not getting back to either of us."

"Well, then you're going to need help." Peter smirked. "Like Malia, maybe Liam, and definitely me."

"I think I could bring a couple pounds of napalm instead." I narrowed my eyes at the male, not bothering to be discreet as I fingered my silver wolfsbane knife.

"Are you seriously still mad at me?" Peter groaned.

"Mad that you're the reason the Deadpool was created, or mad that you manipulated your way into Malia's mind? Because the answer to both is no." I glared. "But if you attempt any of those things again, I'm checking you into Eichen's Closed Unit. And we both know what goes on there." Grabbing one of the weapon's bags, I headed out the door, Peter's statement of me still being mad at him following me outside.

Seeing Braeden pull up in a prison transport van, I frowned, confusion written all over my face. "Do I want to know why we're going to be traveling that thing?" I asked.

"Probably." Braeden hummed, looking over my shoulder while raising her eyebrows. "Seriously, him?"

"We're going after Berserkers, as much I wish we could leave him behind, I'm afraid we can't." I sighed, going to the back and opening the doors up. Placing the duffle bag in there, I waited for Derek to put the other two inside before closing the doors. "I'll ride with Braeden, you with Peter?"

"Sounds good." Derek nodded, grabbing his uncle from where he and the bounty hunter were exchanging glares. Hopping into the passenger side of the van, I grabbed an aux cord and connected it to my phone. If we were going to travel nonstop to Mexico, I was going to be listening to good music. Starting the playlist on shuffle, I tapped my foot to the beat, Braeden and I sharing a smile.