Chapter 2: Truths

Walking downstairs on limbs that still felt heavier than they shoulder, I turned the corner around the stairs to see familiar faces hushing their soft voices as their eyes caught mine

Derek stared at me with watery eyes right as Levi marched straight to me and wrapped me in a tight hug. Closing my eyes, I tried to blink back the tears but it was like seeing him again snapped something in me.

We didn't say anything; he just held me and nuzzled my hair while I let my tears start to dampen his shirt. Wiping them away with his fingers worn from many years of work, he smiled at me with silver eyes that still held fear in them. Fear that scared me because up to this point, I was pretty convinced that Levi was the only person in this world that could make the Devil himself sweat.

"I love you little shit," he murmured to me.

"I love you too," I replied before he kissed my hair.

I stepped back right as Derek zipped to me. He gave me a gentle hug, his breath a little shaky like his fingers that were trying to wipe a tear away. "Is Elliot–"

"He's fine," Derek quickly replied. "He'll be home tomorrow. They cut the trip short and were coming home when we found you. They got what they need though, there's no reason for him to be away."

"Babe, you still want blobs?"

I gave Ethan a tiny smile with a slight nod while Derek eyed me curiously. "Pancakes, Ethan's look more like blobs."

Derek chuckled before Levi took a step towards me. "Come outside for a minute with me Charlie girl."

Ethan nodded to me before Derek kissed me again. He turned to Ethan with a teary smile he was trying to wipe away. "Need help?"

"Want to do some bacon?"

"I can do bacon," Derek replied.

I sighed and let Levi walk me out to our backyard that overlooked the pack. The wildflowers where we had buried the fangs were starting to grow; they were small little sprouts, but eventually I hoped that the entire hill would be covered with those flowers. Flowers that I was sure that Margaret would have liked.

Levi was quiet, unsettlingly quiet. He walked a ways then sat down in the grass, patting the spot next to him for me.

"I talked to Evie," he said.

He knew. I could see it in his eyes as they turned to me. He knew I saw her.

Sitting down with a shaky breath, I started to nervously pluck at the grass around me. "How did she?"

"It's called Dream Walking, you don't need to be awake."

I nodded then looked back up him, my throat starting to clench again as the memories flooded to mind. "I don't even know what to say–"

"One morning I swore she was there," he said quietly while he looked out over the pack. "I could smell her, it was like she had just washed her hair. It was so confusing, my beast and I thought we were dreaming–it felt like a dream. I remember walking around that entire cabin, feeling like I could hear her humming in some of the rooms."