Chapter 20: Brown M&M's

Light.

There was a soft light pulling into the room, the room that was like a log cabin version of a hospital room. There were wood paneled walls in the square room where a window was letting in sunlight through the beige blinds that had little ducks printed on them.

"Dad?" I croaked out. I looked around, my throat dry and body groggy. My hand had an IV in it, the skin a little red around where the tap held it down. "Dad?!" I called out a little louder.

A chocked sob fell out of my lips while the television mounted on the wall murmured in the background. I was awake. I was awake and in a place where my father was not.

Hadrian.

I blinked hard as hot tears rolled down my face, the forest green door opening quickly–startling me. Dominic zipped in and over to me, looking me over with icy blue eyes that were like pools of concern. "Are you ok? I heard you yell."

"I saw him," I choked out. "I saw my dad."

He sighed as his face deflating a little. Dominic scooted over to me as the sobs grew louder and pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry Charlotte. I'm sorry I couldn't save him."

Dominic brushed my hair back and let me cry against his shirt. He would murmur soothing things to me and kiss my hair until I settled down enough to not have a vision clouded by tears. I sucked in a sharp breath and looked around again.

"Where am I? Where is everyone?" I asked, wiping my eyes while Dominic scooted back by my feet on the bed.

"You're at your pack doctor's right now, on your land," he answered with a soft smile. "Levi is back home with Lander, Bernard and Dagny are returning Caleb and Daphne's bodies to their coven so they can bury them, the other vampires are here–they actually have been in here with me most of the time. Derek refuses to leave you, Elliot finally got him to go hunting for a little while–" he paused while I lightly laughed at the thought. "Lucas is at your home staying with Ethan. Levi wanted Tikanni to cool down a little–well, more like Lander, before he brought his son back from the dead home."

"Ethan," I murmured out as my heart twisted.

"Here Charlotte," Dominic rushed out. "He stepped out because I made him go eat something–clarification, I did not compel him but highly suggested that he eat something–I may have threatened to compel him," he said with a tiny innocent smile. "You can link him if you want–he hasn't left love. I may have also maybe laid into him a little–totally deserved."

"What?! Why?!"

"They were talking, considering that everyone finally knows now, about sending you away somewhere–"

A sharp growl cut Dominic off. "The hell they are!" I started to move and rip at the tape on my hand. "Get this off of me! Where the hell are they!? I am laying into there Goddamn asses!"

"Charlotte!" Dominic had a hand over mine, stopping my tape-ripping. "I do not want to compel you, but you need to rest. The poison is almost out, but not quite. It did a number. You've been out for three days and don't worry, they all learned very quickly how fun my compulsion could be."

"What did you do?" I rushed out.

He rolled his eyes and sat back. "Don't worry, they're fine. Besides, I'm more of less your uncle, it's my job to make sure that someone keeps their asses in line for Hadrian."

"He loved you, you know," I breathed out.

Dominic sighed and nodded. "He was the only one that saw me for what I was and didn't care, the only other person who did before him was Lizzie."