Chapter 59: Whiskey

"Also! Everyone!" Dagny called out again. "We have sacks of the black rocks for everyone. I would recommend you put them in your pockets or hide them on you so no one will catch wind of your mate's scent on you."

"Good call Dagny," Hadrian said with a nod.

"Brother we need to take Jake and Ryder and go round our men up," Evan said.

I looked over at Charlotte, my heart twisting at the thought of leaving her. Hadrian eyed me, knowing what I was thinking. He sighed and gave me a sympathetic smile with stern eyes that I knew were itching to have a go at me. "Until she's gone it's not safe for her down there. Go with Evan and come back."

"Alright," I breathed out, knowing I had to. I needed to get our pack ready and our warriors ready. "Evan, go ahead with Jake and Ryder. I want our captains in my house in half an hour to meet."

"Done," Evan said with a nod.

Charlotte sighed, leaning into me as it felt like the safety of the spell–the spell that made it feel like we were in our own bubble of safety, started to break. I kissed her temple, breathing in her scent that made my heart beat a little quicker.

Evan got up and hugged her again with Lyanna before they walked to Cora and Jake who were ready to poof them home. Charlotte watched them then looked back at me. "I don't like it."

"I know baby," I breathed out. "I'll be back. I have to. I would bring you if I knew she wasn't watching. If she wasn't watching so closely you know I would."

"I know," she replied. "Just come back, alright?"

I nodded then dipped down to kiss her, trying to memorize the shape of her lips and forbidding myself to tell her goodbye. It wasn't goodbye.

"Ethan," Hadrian called out. "I'll take you back. She's not going anywhere."

Levi gave me a sympathetic smile as others started to poof away. I kissed Charlotte one last time then left before my emotions got the best of me; if I looked at her again I would stay–she would anchor my ass back. My beast whined as we walked away, towards my father in law who I still wasn't sure about, well, more unsure if he wanted to beat the hell out of me or not. I couldn't blame him, no male is going to get an easy time with a daughter of mine.

Hadrian eyed me and walked with me out of the hall. Ever step away from her was like that day they pulled me away from her all over again. "Do you remember what I made you promise me, Ethan?"

I did. I remembered too well. Charlotte and her father were too alike. That day in my office, Hadrian made me swear to him that I would finish Aurelia. If anything happened to Charlotte, he made me swear I wouldn't take my life. I almost didn't until that King blood of his almost suffocated me, I couldn't believe he was half Levi's age and so strong. I couldn't believe that the same blood ran in Charlotte's veins.

My beast and I both knew he was right. We knew that if we didn't finish her that she would just kill off everything good in this world. He had promised me if anything happened to Charlotte, that he would take care of her. I knew he would never let anything happen to her if he could help it. It was the hardest promise I ever had to make and keep–there were plenty of times over the last year where I was close to doing it. Very close.

"Yes, I do."

"Listen, I know that things are looking good for tomorrow, but there is always a chance that things won't work. You have to be ready for that. You have to be ready to finish it if something happens to her. Same for her, she knows. She knows she has to finish it regardless if you're here or not."

"It almost killed me, Hadrian."

"It almost killed me, Ethan," he replied back, a slight bite in his voice. "I know you have lost much son, you have been through more than a wolf should, but do not forget that I know that pain twice over. Losing her mother, then her, almost did kill me–and when I lost her I had to die to do it. My soul was more tormented on the other side with guilt–even with Willa it took years to get over."