Chapter 44: The Last Tree Part 1

Ethan and I spent the morning making blobs, making a mess, and making love in various parts of the kitchen before we had a movie marathon in the living room. Evan eventually linked us midday; there was rogue movement, but it was very little. Ethan had him move some men to another border, but for the most part, it was all we could do.

Derek and Elliot came over with Barrett, Evie, Dominic, Wynona, Evan, and Lyanna for dinner that eventually Bernard, Dagny, and some other witches crashed. It was a small dinner party that turned into a large one when Cora, Jake, Ryder, and Remi showed up; both couples hand in hand with fresh marks on their necks.

Ryder pulled Ethan and I aside with Remi, apparently, they were true mates which to their surprised we all pretty much guessed–well, Remi had an idea that everyone knew. Both of them started to list out how they could make it work and keep up their positions in their respective packs when Ethan stopped them and told them that it was their life and he was fine with whatever they chose.

Apparently, Levi was pissed at Remi, mostly because he lost fifty bucks to David on a bet that Remi and Ryder were going to come clean about it sooner. Remi was supposed to be Liam's beta, but he mentioned to Ethan something about transferring; it sounded more or less like Liam's death was taking more of a toll on him. He said he would be Lucas' beta if he wanted him to, but it didn't feel as right as it did with Liam. Ethan told him either way, it was fine, it was his choice.

Evan also lost twenty-five bucks to Martin; he thought Ryder was going to come clean about Remi sooner as well.

I was so happy for Cora. She was so ecstatic and beaming with happiness. At some point during the party, I sat back and looked around, a sad smile tugging at my lips as our friends laughed and enjoyed each other's company. Lyanna nudged me playfully, another glass of wine in her hands.

"Lucas said they are having a big time at Lander's tonight. I guess Jaxon's having a party too."

I sighed and nodded. "Good."

"Char?" My eyes watered and caught Lynnna's. She quickly set her glass down and took my hand, pulling me through the crowd and up the stairs into my bathroom. "Charlotte, what's wrong?"

"It itches Lyanna. It's been itching all day. What if–"

"We don't know that," she quickly said. "We don't know. It's the worst situation, so I am sure part of it is from that. We don't know, ok? We stick to the plan and you three turn around and come home."

"Promise me–"

"Charlotte no."

"Dammit Lyanna," I bit out, tears leaking out of my eyes as she sighed defeatedly. "Promise me if something happens to me that you will take care of Ethan. Help him finish it. Do not let him walk until he does."

I could see her beast whine before she leaned back against the counter and nodded. "Ethan made Evan promise him the same."

"We have to finish it," I said, sucking in a breath after so I could push back the tears. "We can't let her win. We've come too far."

"I promise," she replied, her voice almost a whisper. "I–just promise me you will turn her ass around and come back."

"Ok," I said with a tiny smile, more tears trickling out of my eyes before I hugged her tight to me. "I promise."

She sucked in a breath then laughed while she nuzzled my cheek. "It's going to be ok. No matter what happens, it happens, and it will work out."

"I know," I replied while I leaned my head against her shoulder.

Lyanna and I stayed up in the bathroom until I was done being sad; my beast and I agreed, we needed to enjoy our friends, this night, and our mate. Our mate who was laughing carelessly next to Evan and Jake while Evan waved his hands around dramatically as he told some kind of joke.