Epilogue Part III

"Is it going to hurt?" Chris asked me while we sat outside in the wildflowers that flowed down the hills like soft waves that our backyard rolled into as I sipped on my coffee.

I looked over at him, his beast was still pacing. He had been pacing all morning. I could only pray that he didn't start until it was right–until they were ready. Ethan had been getting them ready for the last year and over the last six months he had been going harder on them; he had them running in the mornings and swimming–which our children loved.

Our boys needed to be ready because it would hurt. It would hurt like hell. But our boys were strong, their veins at even this age already hummed loud enough that yesterday some of the other kids were shivering away from them.

"Yes," I answered honestly. I wasn't going to lie to my son. I wasn't going to sugarcoat it for him because that wasn't going to help him.

"How long did it take you, mom?"

I leaned back in the grass, my belly full from the blobs we had eaten. Charlie walked outside over to us; he sat on my other side then leaned on my shoulder.

"It took around three and a half maybe four hours from the time I got the fever until the time I was in my fur" I replied. "But I was also a human before then sweetie, it's different for natural born weres, remember?"

"He's pacing mom," Charlie breathed out.

"I know baby, they do that," I replied before I kissed his hair. "Do you feel ready?"

Charlie nodded. "Yes. It's close. I can feel it."

"Well, let's try and take it easy today, ok? You both need to rest some more, it's going to be a long night," I replied before I hugged Charlie and Chris to me.

"I love you, mom," Charlie murmured against my shoulder while I nuzzled his cheek.

My heart swelled as Chris leaned against my shoulder. "I love you too mom."

"I love you boys," I replied before I kissed each of them again. "Now come on, let's see if we can convince your dad to let us choose the movie this time."

Charlie grinned while a soft smile pulled at Chris' lips before we all got up and headed inside. The boys, because it was the day they were shifting, got to pick the movie which was a scary movie that Ethan hated. They mostly picked it because they knew Ethan hated it; then only enjoyment he got out of it was when Caroline would say something like, 'daddy you could totally kill that guy in like five seconds.'

We all lounged around most of the day and tried to keep the boys calm. My beast and I knew their time would be soon, but it just wasn't their time yet. Not quite yet.

Elliot made everyone grilled cheeses for lunch that the twins barely ate, their nerves were starting to eat at them. Both Ethan and I made them eat at least one sandwich; they were going to need the energy later, shifting was no easy task.

Soon Derek went outside to set up a little area with Levi while my father and Elliot ran to the pack house to get some bags of ice. The boys had already changed into the spandex shirts that ran down a little past their mid thighs, almost like bicycle Dagny gave them for their birthday; she and Vincent would have come to their party, but Susie was supposed to give birth any day and Dagny didn't want to leave her.

The pants were a lifesaver for my boys though, I wish I would have had something like them when I shifted. Like our enchanted underclothing, they would stay on the boys through the shift, but because their bodies were about to contort like a pretzel, she enchanted the pants so they wouldn't tear or ruin during the strenuous shift.