Chapter 37: The Club

The rest of the drive was a dreadful quiet of tense air and eye contact that I would make with Evan in the rearview mirror, his blue-green eyes trying to push back his fear as he gave me a reassuring smile.

Riley was waiting inside his office with his two interns. One was a black male with a bright smile and the other was a tall lanky male with curly dusty blonde hair and wide brown eyes. Riley rushed to me and hugged me quickly then scratched at his scruff. "I am so sorry we have to see each other under these circumstances."

"Thank you Riley, and thank you for your help," I replied.

"This is Darren," he said while gesturing to the male.

He gave us a warm smile and nodded. "I wish we could meet under better circumstances."

"He's going to be with Evan," Riley added.

"That's right," Darren said with a nod. "I touched base with your other men that are here and we are all ready."

"Good," Lander said.

"And I am Nate," the tall lanky male said with a slightly awkward wave.

"So we're riding with you?" Talia asked.

He dipped his head. "Yes, does anyone want to use the bathroom or need a drink first?"

"I could use the bathroom," Andrea said.

"First door on the right," Riley said with a smile.

Nate adjusted the gray sweater over his buttoned-down white shirt; his faded jeans almost too short for him and his belt looked like he needed a smaller one. He kept fidgeting around us; I just shook my head and smiled at him. "Nate, we're not going to eat you."

He let out a nervous laugh and nodded while Darren shook his head. Riley chuckled. "Darren has met Ajax, but you are all the first that Nate has met."

"Too bad we can't shift," Lucas said reluctantly. "Barrett would kill me if I ruined his clothes."

"Shift?" Nate asked.

Talia smiled and flashed him her fangs, causing him to jump with wide eyes. " Another day then."

"Anything else we should know?" I asked.

Riley shook his head. "Just be careful. I am going to be here, this will be home base. If anything happens, and you get separated then you come here. Do you all know how to get back?"

Lucas, Talia, and I smelled the air, taking in the scent in case we had to find the trail and nodded. "It should be fine," Lucas said with a smile.

Andrea walked out and fidgeted with her straps. "That was fast," Talia said with a cocked brow.

Andrea sighed. "Nerves," she replied.

"Alright," Nate said while he clapped his hands together. "Should get this party started?"

"Nate," Darren groaned.

Nate licked his teeth and pulled his keys out. "Right, well, follow me."

Lander hugged Talia, then Andrea, before he hugged me. "You keep your ass safe."

"I'll try," I replied before he kissed my crown.

He held Lucas back a moment while I stepped outside and walked to Evan who hugged me tight to him. "He's in bad shape, you know that–don't let it get to you."

"I love you, Ev," I breathed out.

"I love you too little sister, now go. Go make a deal with that devil," he replied before Aaron gave me a small smile.