Chapter 3: Magic

Levi left later that afternoon with Lander and his pack

Levi left later that afternoon with Lander and his pack. He took Drew and Nessa with him; I didn't ask what he was going to do with them, but I knew that they would end up in front of Ajax's pigs, and that was good enough for me.

We spent the rest of the day with Aaron and the pack. Derek helped me make a loaded potato casserole for Aaron while Ethan brought him a case of beer–Aaron really liked the beer.

Ryder and Jake both were more than looking after him, and even told Ethan that they told him he should stay with us if he wanted to. They were going to start building a cabin of their own and they had already told Aaron he could be their third roommate.

The idea made me happy, but I knew that Aaron needed to do what was good for him. I didn't blame him one bit if he wanted to leave this pack and never look back–I didn't blame him at all.

The next day Evan met up with Ethan and I to walk to the cabin that Bernard, Caleb, Daphne, and Dagny were staying in–a packed house that apparently Bernard wouldn't stop bitching about. Lyanna was already there, which seemed to irritate the hell out of Evan. Ethan loved it though and used it as an opportunity to evoke a little payback on his younger brother. As much as I loved Evan, he more than had it coming.

Dagny was on the front porch drinking tea with a rabbit in her lap. It was small, a baby, with soft brown fur and big eyes that watched her nibble on a cookie while she read. She broke a piece off and fed it to the creature, letting it slightly nibble on her fingers which drew a giggle from her lips that seemed to make her pink curls bounce.

Evan cocked his brow as Bernard walked outside. Lyanna ran around him and jogged to Evan with a tired smile, kissing him which just made Bernard roll his eyes.

"Oh! I didn't see you!" Dagny replied with an excited smile.

"New pet?" I asked, eying the bunny.

"Yes," she said while Bernard groaned.

"No, it isn't–"

"Oh Bernard," an older woman said, rolling her eyes as she walked out in a fifties-style emerald green dress with a wide skirt and off-the-shoulder neck. "Let the poor girl keep her bunny, it's not hurting you."

I bit back a laugh and rubbed my cheek against Lyanna, then walked to Dagny. Careful, I hugged her so I wouldn't spook the bunny who was nestled happily in her arms. "Did you name him?"

"Her," she replied. "She's Alice."

"Well hello there," an older man said. His hair was white but he was wearing tailor jeans that looked finely pressed and a dusty pink shirt.

Ethan waved then wrapped an arm around me. "Caleb, this is Charlotte."

"Bernard!" the older woman slapped Bernard's arm then turned to me. "He's so rude. I swear after all these years you would have thought he would have more manners–"