Chapter 19: Some Field

My head was killing me.

My head was killing me and frankly, I felt like pounded hamburger meat.

I felt like I had taken one too many shots of tequila then chased it with a few shots of Fireball.

Sitting up in tall grass while the wind raked through my hair, I looked around at the peaceful set of hills rolling in what looked like the morning sun. The cool air brushed past my cheeks, waking me up a little more while the wildflower swayed like young ballerinas in the breeze.

Hills.

I looked around and noticed that I was just sitting on the top of the hill–just me.

"What?" I breathed out, my heart started to beat a little faster. "Ethan!" I called out. "Levi?!"

I looked around, a little more frantically, but saw nothing. My side still ached where that damn blue misty snake thing bit me, causing me to wince a little as I moved. Groaning, I looked around again while my beast reached out to the bond that was still glowing brightly in me. "Ethan?!"

"He's not here," a male said.

Slowly turning my head, I looked over to see a man in faded jeans and a gray t-shirt sitting down next to me. A man with black hair and stormy blue eyes. A man with a scar that ran from his brow to his cheek.

A male whose beast was staring at me with love in his eyes as his veins reeked of a power that naturally flowed off of him like an electric water as it rushed to me, caressing my skin gently and causing me to gasp as the blood in me tingled in response.

Hadrian. My father.

"Oh my God I died." My voice tumbled out of my mouth like water in a waterfall. "Oh my God I'm dead. Oh god–"

"You're not dead, sweet girl," he said calmly, turning to me and looking me over.

"What?!" I rushed out. I looked around then back at him. "Then where the hell am I?"

He shrugged. "Some field."

"Some field?" My brows raised as my blood started to slightly boil in frustration.

"Well," he sighed out. "I thought it would be much more peaceful than other places–we need to talk."

"No shit!" I hissed out. "Where is Ethan?! Where is Levi?! What have you done! What–"

A low growl cut me off. He let out a tense breath and looked back at me apologetically. "Right now you're drifting between that place of asleep and awake–here and there. You're fine. You're back home in some hospital place. Levi and Ethan are fine love, I promise."

I sat back in the grass, my hand subconsciously moving to my wound before I felt the tears prickle in my eyes and my heart twist. I was looking at my dad. I watched him hold me. I watched him die.

"How does this work? Whose memories did I see? What is happening to me?"

He gave me a sad smile while I tried to hold it together. "Memories of the dead love, some mine–some Eve's. I can't tell you how everything works, but I promise you're going to be just fine."

I opened my mouth but a chocked sob came out. My hand rushed to my lips, trying to muffle it but it did no use. More sobs came out until I was a pile of tears and pained cries.

Hadrian quickly moved over to me and pulled me to him; I didn't argue, mostly because I felt so broken–my beast and I felt broken. He let my cry on his chest; ugly, bitter, and pained tears that tore their way out angrily from me.

"I'm sorry Charlotte, I never wanted this to happen to you," he murmured to me. "We tried so hard to hide."

"Why do they hate us?" I whimpered out as more tears fell, my fingers clinging to his shirt.