Chapter 29: Swimming Goggles

"Are you ready for this shit?" Evan asked, swimming goggles pulled above his head.

"Evan are those swimming goggles?" I asked.

Lyanna rolled her eyes. "She said it would work fine."

Ethan just groaned while we watched Ryder and Bernard finish securing dynamite around the tree. Jake trotted to us with a grin, swimming goggles pushing his black hair back. "Ready?"

"Are you sure this will work?" Ethan asked.

Evan scoffed. "Bro, do you see how much dynamite is lined up? There is no way in hell that this isn't working."

"I'm more concerned about the excessive amount of dynamite Ev," Ethan said, eyeing me before he looked at Bernard who walked to us, a welding mask pushed above his face. "Well?"

Bernard held up a fuse then nudged his chin to a box. "It's almost read. We should take cover, this will cause quite the bang."

Ethan grumbled then pulled me over to a set of boulders in the distance. After we had visited Cora, we spent the next few days getting ready for our regional council meeting while Evan and Ryder had wet dreams over today–the day we would blow the tree up. Yesterday the dynamite came in and you would have thought that it was Christmas morning. I think Evan actually squealed.

We would be going to Tikanni this afternoon; Levi was overly pissed that he had to host. Apparently, he and Jaxon flipped a coin and he lost. He also said that the match was rigged somehow. Idiot.

Ethan pulled me behind a boulder, the tree far off in the distance that I couldn't even see it through the thick forest. Evan trotted around and pulled his goggles down, while Ethan and I both raised our brows curiously at him. "What?! You're going to wish you had some here in a minute."

"Ok!" Bernard called out while he walked carefully with the box over towards us. He sat down behind his own boulder while Ryder sat behind another boulder, both of them pulling their vision protection gear down. "Here we go! In three, two, one–"

The boom had me slapping my palms to my ears while the ground shook. Immediately the chatter on the pack link surged; Ethan groaned and dipped into it, quickly letting everyone know that there was nothing to worry about–we were just blowing some trees up.

Totally nothing to worry about.

Ethan looked over at me with wide eyes while a cloud of dust and smoke rushed towards us. Evan's eyes were as big as saucers, like a kid who just stole all the cookies. "Holy shitballs that was amazing," Evan breathed out while he scrambled up.

Ethan stood up then help me up with him while Evan sprinted around the boulder. We followed him; the smoke and dust growing thicker as we approached. Ethan was waving the smoke out of the way when we got to where the tree was. Where the tree still was. Where the dust was settling and the tree was still standing.

"Well, fuck!" Evan said while throwing his hands up. "Bernard! We need more!"

"No!" Ethan quickly said. "It's obviously not going to work."

"What? Maybe we didn't line it up right. I think if we could–"

"Ev, no," Ethan pushed back more firmly. "You're going to blow the whole pack up at this rate."

"Come on Ethan," Evan whined.

Ethan shook his head. "No, and that's final. We need to get to Levi's anyways."

"Please?" Evan asked, his voice a tiny whine.

Ethan growled lowly. "No Ev. Now let's go, otherwise, you can explain to uncle Levi why you're late."