Chapter 27: Lucas Part II

-------------------

Lucas

---------------------

"Lucas!"

"Yap?"

"Come on we got to go, son!" I groaned and rolled out of bed, groggily walking into the kitchen where dad was sitting with his coffee and paper like he always did. He eyed me then shook his head. "Damn son, you get any sleep?"

"Yes? No?" I replied groggily. "Why did you get a new mattress?"

"It was old Lucas."

"No, it was perfectly broken in," I whined.

"Well, you can blame Lander for that. He took my chair and your mattress. I guess we're even."

"Hmmm," I hummed before I sat down at the table.

"You wanna grab some coffee now?"

"Where are we going again?"

"Lander's, then the pack house."

I nodded. "I'll just wait, we probably need to go anyways."

"Why? Excited to unload some dusty boxes." I groaned then eyed my dad who had a ghost smile on his lips. "I've got to make some calls. Lyanna and Evan should be here. Lyanna's probably going to need help so you're with them today. We can go hunt later then you need to chop some wood."

"What?! Really?! Come on dad..."

"Unless you want to freeze this winter," he replied cooly.

"Come on dad, really?"

"Really really Lucas. One day when you have kids you too will understand," he quickly replied before he wiped his mouth. "Alright, let's go. I'll have David bring you some clothes over."

"Fine," I grumbled.

Dad got up then put his plate and coffee in the sink while I beat him out the door. The run to Lander's house was like second nature to me; I had done it so many times. Yet no matter how hard I ran, it felt like something was weighing down on me.

Or maybe it was the smell of grief and sadness coming from his house that made me feel like I was carrying the weight of a hundred wolves on my shoulders.

Lander was outside looking at his tomato plants when we jogged up. He eyed dad and I; dad stepping closer to me while Lander gave us a tired smile. "I got coffee if you two want some."

Dad barked at him then started to walk towards him while David trotted out the front door with some clothes. He tossed me some sweatpants then tossed some to dad. "Come on, Lander's about to drink the damn pot if you don't hurry."

I quickly shifted and pulled the pants on then jogged towards David when Penelope ran outside. She smiled and waved at us. "Hi alpha Levi, hi Lucas," she practically sang out.

"Hey Pen," I said with a tired smile, ruffling her hair before dad caught up to me and walked inside.

"Lucas, you want some coffee too?" Lander called out, startling me a little.

"Um, ya that would be good thanks," I replied politely.

Dad walked in and looked around. "Where's Lyle?"

"Uncle Levi!" a white blonde haired boy with silver eyes called out as he came running down he stair, barreling for my dad.

Lander was about to open his mouth when Levi just waved him off and caught Lyle. "Easy Lyle, only had one cup this morning," Levi chuckled out. "You remember Lucas?"