Chapter 1

“Remember how to score Abnegation,” my father, Marcus Eaton, leader of Abnegation, said.

“Yes, sir,” I said, walking out the door of our small, dull, quiet home. It's even worse now that my brother's gone too. He transferred to Dauntless two years ago. Our mom passed away when we were younger.

The streets were also quiet as kids of all ages walked with their heads down towards school. All of the sixteen year olds, including myself, had our placement testing today. It's supposed to guide us to which faction to choose tomorrow.

Our options are simple and limited to six choices. First, Abnegation, the selfless, are the ones in charge of the government. Second, Dauntless, the brave, are the protectors. Third, Amity, the peaceful, are the farmers. Fourth, Candor, the honest, are in charge of Justice. Fifth, Erudite, the smart, are in charge of medicine and science. The last option, Factionless, the people who don't fit in anywhere.

“Alexander,” one of my friends said. I looked up to meet the eyes of Caleb Prior and his sister Beatrice. They both are 16 also.

“Caleb,” I said, nodding politely. We reached the lines outside of the school and waited for our entrance to take this test.

Some of the Candor kids started making remarks about Abnegation. I'd gotten pretty good at ignoring them, especially considering who my father is. I mean, when you're he son of the leader of Abnegation, you kind of have to be the poster child.

“You know what,” Beatrice said before spinning around to tell them off.

“Stop it. We're Abnegation,” Caleb said, stopping her from getting herself in trouble. We're Abnegation, the selfless faction, so we can't speak out against people who don't like us. Candor on the other hand, gets to say whatever they want because their faction is the truthful faction.

“That's not fair,” Beatrice mumbled.

“Just ignore them. They're trying to get you to act first,” Caleb said.

Pretty soon, we were inside waiting to get called back to take our placement test.

“Alexander Eaton, Room 1,” Jeanine Matthews, leader of Erudite, the intelligent, said. I stood and walked into the first room. The Dauntless man inside looked extremely familiar, almost like looking in a mirror. His blonde hair and blue eyes matched mine almost to a t.

“Alex,” he said. “My name's Four. I'll be administering your test today. Take a seat.”

I hopped up into the chair and tried to relax.

“Alright, do you have any questions before we begin?” He asked.

“This might sound crazy, but are you by any chance Tobias Eaton?” I asked.

“I told you, my name is Four,” he said handing me a shot glass full of some weird blue liquid. “Bottoms up.”

My eyes got heavy before closing, and I felt more like I passed out then I fell asleep.