Chapter 32

I knocked on the door of the house I grew up in and waited for him to answer. I had been standing there a few moments before I knocked again. I heard rustling inside the house before the door opened.

"Alex?" He asked. "I thought you and that Four character were supposed to be here."

"Four is down on one of the blocks where we didn't have anyone originally, so I'm staying with you for this week," I explained.

"I wish he would've passed that information along to the leaders here properly, but what can you do about it?" He asked, shrugging as if he was amused.

"I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused by Four's last minute decision, but you must understand that Dauntless is the protectors. We believe in military like order, and sometimes battle strategies change at the last second," I said, still standing outside of the house.

"Honey," a woman's voice came from inside the house.

"Honey?" I asked. I saw a young woman, not much older than me, approach the door.

"Let the poor boy in," she said. He must not have started beating her yet, or she wouldn't be talking to him like that.

"I was just getting there, dear," he said. "Please come on. You can stay in the room to the right at the top of the stairs if you like."

"Thanks," I said, heading up the stairs to my old bedroom. Everything was exactly the way I left it the morning of the Choosing Ceremony. My bed was perfectly made with the gray sheets and comforter. My closet door was closed, although I was sure Marcus had taken the clothes out and donated them to the Factionless. My desk still sat in front of the window that over looked the street. I peeked out the window, seeing the view of the city I had as a child.

The image brought back memories of my mom. She used to sit down with me in front of the window and tell me I would do great things one day. I may not remember much about her, but being back here, in my old bedroom, helped some of those memories resurface.

I threw my duffel bag down on the bed, deciding to just live out of it for the next week. Unpacking it would make it seem like I planned on staying for some length of time.

"Alex, there's someone here to see you," Marcus yelled from the bottom of the stairs. I quickly ran down the stairs and made my way to the door.

"Hey," I said softly as Uriah's eyes grazed over my body.

"I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you staying here," he said.

"I'm fine," I said.

"Are you sure, because I will call and ask Tori to switch and you can stay with the Prior's," he said.

"Uriah," I said softly before stepping outside and shutting the door.

"Baby boy," he said. "I don't want you to get hit again."

"Uriah, I can defend myself now. You taught me to fight, remember?" I asked. He nodded slowly.

"Yeah, cause you hurt your hand," he said.

"Yeah, I did. Are you doubting your abilities?" I asked.

"No, I'm just worried about you," he said. I stood on my tiptoes and planted a quick kiss on his lips.

"I promise you if anything happens you'll be the first to know," I said.

"Thanks, babe," he said, wrapping his arms around me.

"Go, before we get caught," I said.

"I love you, and I hope I don't die of starvation here," he said.

"It's just a week. I survived 16 years on it," I said jokingly.

"Bye, I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I said before he took off for the Prior's house.