Chapter 28

Over the course of the next few days, Uriah and I spent every moment together. He refused to leave my said, especially after his mother's abuse started to set me back into the scared boy I was when I arrived.

I stopped talking and eating as much. I started hiding my body, especially my back, again. I had a harder time communicating with Uriah, especially since I knew he was capable of kicking my ass if he so desired.

I knew I had no reason to be scared of Uriah, but I just seemed to have been set back to the boy I was when I showed up.

The worst thing was that my nightmares about Marcus had started again. I'd wake up in a cold sweat, kicking at Uriah to let me go, but he'd only pull me closer. He cooed to me, whispering about how much he loved me until I'd calmed down enough to talk to him. Every night, I'd relax in his arms, reminded that Marcus couldn't hurt me here.

The night before Uriah and I started work, it started to get better.

"Babe, come here," Uriah called from the living room. He'd gone to dinner without me, because I couldn't bring myself to eat anymore.

"Hi," I said, walking into the living room.

"Four doesn't want you to take this job in Abnegation. He already talked to the Erudite Ambassador and he is willing to switch with you," Uriah explained. I grew increasingly angry the more he spoke. Why would they go behind my back and change my job without talking to me about it?

"Why?" I asked softly.

"We're both worried about you. I've never seen you this bad, and Four said you only ever got like this once. He said it was after your dad found out you were gay for the first time," Uriah said.

"Uriah, did you ask him to have my position changed?" I asked.

"He suggested it, not me," Uriah said. I met his eyes, and they spoke nothing but the truth.

"Uriah, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that your Mom is being abused and there's nothing we can do about it," I said.

"Oh, I talked to Zeke, and he wants to sue David for custody of Kyle. Then he's gonna try to get Mom out of there too," Uriah said.

"I just hope Kyle's okay," I said.

"He will be. I told Zeke if him and Shauna can't take Kyle that we would," he said.

I felt the color drain from my face as I got light headed. I grabbed the back of the sofa to steady myself as Uriah took two quick steps over to me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, leading me to the couch.

"I think it's probably because I haven't eaten anything in forever," I said.

"I figured this would happen," Uriah said, opening a takeout container. Inside was a burger with ketchup and pickles and an order of cheese fries.

"You know me so well," I said, grabbing one of the fries and starting to eat.

"Oh, and here's this," he said, handing me a bottle of Mountain Dew.

"Thanks, babe," I said, gratefully taking the bottle.

"You know I love you, right?" He asked as I continued to eat.

"Not as much as I love you," I responded.

"Let's watch a movie," he said, jumping up and putting in some movie.

"What'd you put in?" I asked.

"Space Jam," he replied. I laughed at his childish behavior as I cuddled into his side and continued to eat.

The movie finished, and Uriah and I headed to bed.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd been so happy doing something as mundane as watching a movie. With Uriah, everything seemed happier than without. I knew I was in love with him.

"What're you thinking about?" Uriah asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"I was just wondering if my mother was ever truly in love with my father, and vice versa. I mean, if you truly love someone, you wouldn't hit them," I said, cuddling closer to the body heat Uriah was giving off.

"I'm sure at one point they loved each other," he said. "I know my parents did."

"What was it like?" I asked.

"What?" He asked, genuinely confused by my question.

"Your childhood. What was it like growing up with parents who were madly in love?"

"Well, it was pretty crazy," he started.

Within minutes his voice had lulled me to sleep. I could lay on his chest and listen to him talk forever if only I was allowed.