Chapter 14

The next day was our final test. That meant that in just a few short hours, every single Dauntless leader would be observing us and our fears through the screens in the observation room.

“Nervous?” Uriah asked as I walked out of the transfer dorms to head to breakfast.

“A little. Are you?” I asked, grabbing his hand.

“Um, kind of,” he said. “But I'm not a pansycake.”

“I hear you say that all the time, but what even is a pansycake?” I asked.

“A wimp or a weakling,” Uriah said as we got into line behind Zeke and Four.

“Stop trying to bring that word back. It's not gonna happen,” Zeke said.

“You don't know that,” Uriah said.

“Chill out,” I said.

“We need to talk Alex,” Four said.

“Did I do something?” I asked.

“Not to my knowledge. Why? You a guilty conscience or something?” Four asked.

“Nope,” I said.

“About Dad,” he said. I'm not sure how many people know who our father is, and I definitely don't want to be the one to tell them.

“What about him?” I asked. I felt Uriah tense up next to me at the mention of my father. Uriah has hated my father since the day I broke the news to Uriah that my brother and I were abused.

“Did he say anything about Family Day?” Four asked.

“He didn't say anything, but he also didn't know I was transferring. He did say that me transferring would not end well,” I explained as I started to eat what little food I thought I could handle.

“I don't care if he shows up or not, I'm not letting that bastard anywhere near you Alex,” Uriah said.

“If he shows up, which I doubt he will, we all have to be cordial,” Four said.

“I can't stand him,” Uriah said.

“I don't expect you too,” I said. “But you still have to be respectful if he shows up.”

“Fine, but only for you,” Uriah said causing me to roll my eyes at him.

The conversation drifted away from my father and to Zeke's big party he was throwing after initiation is over.

“You can come too if you want to Alex,” Zeke said. So far the guest list sounds like me, Uriah, Four, Shauna, Tris, and Zeke.

“Alex hasn't ever drank before,” Four said.

“Well, he's gotta start sometime,” Zeke said.

“Why would I have to drink? I thought we were playing Candor or Dauntless,” I said.

“Yeah, but then we'll probably play some Never Have I Ever,” Uriah explained.

“And that's a drinking game?” I asked.

“You have so much to learn. It's adorable,” Uriah said, kissing my forehead.

“Yeah, adorable is the look I'm going for here in Dauntless,” I said.

“C'mon, before we're late,” Four said before standing up to leave. We all rose and left with him so that we can get there on time to take our final tests.

“You guys know the drill,” Four said to get our attention. “Sit here until we call you in. You may talk amongst yourselves, but be ready for your final. Uriah, you're up first.”

“Good luck,” I said as he stood up.

“You too, babe,” he said.