Chapter 26

Things were tense between David and Uriah when David answered the door, but Kyle came running over and it seemed to pass.

"There's my favorite brother," Uriah said, picking Kyle up. The two were so different in size it was almost comical. Kyle was only a toddler, but he looked more slender and agile even at his age. Uriah is extremely tall and muscular, so the two just seemed really different.

"We can't tell Zeke though. He'll get jealous," Kyle said.

"What am I going to be jealous of?" Zeke asked, walking into the living room from the kitchen.

"Nuffin," Kyle said before wiggling out of Uriah's arms and taking off for his bedroom.

"Glad to see you two finally made it out of bed and got here," Zeke said.

"Can it, Ezekiel," Uriah said, taking a seat on the couch and pulling me down with him.

"Can we please refrain from using my full name?" Zeke asked, growing more annoyed with his brother by the second.

"Then please refrain from discussing the sex life of my boyfriend and I in front of mom," Uriah retaliated.

"Please, I have three kids, I get the gist," Hannah said, joining us in the living room. My face immediately went beat red with the thought that all these people knew what was going on in my probate life.

It was quiet for a while as we all watched whatever was on the TV.

"Riah, come quick. I need your help," Kyle called from his bedroom.

Uriah stood up and ran off to the rescue, leaving me stranded with his family.

"How have you been?" Hannah asked, looking at me.

"Oh, um," I started before clearing my throat. "Pretty good. You?"

"We've been good," David said before Hannah got the chance to respond. I found it odd, especially once I remembered that Tobias used to tell me about how Dad treated Mom like that.

"So how's everything with Uriah?" She asked.

"It's great. He's really sweet," I said.

"Great enough that they left my game of Candor or Dauntless fifteen minutes into it just so they could bang," Zeke said.

"Zeke, your brother asked you not to discuss his sex life," David said sharply.

"It's fine," I said quietly. My abused kid instincts were screaming to shut up before I made it worse.

"No, his brother asked him not to talk about it," David said, cutting his words at me.

"Because of me," I said. Uriah came walking back out then. I looked at him, hoping he would see my concern.

He took his seat next to be and pulled me into his side. "What happened?" He whispered in my ear as Hannah stood up to go check on dinner.

"I'm just worried. I'll tell you later," I whispered back.

Throughout the rest of the afternoon and dinner, I started picking up on more signs that Hannah was being abused by David. He would constantly cut her off and send her sharp glances when she'd say something he didn't agree with. I could tell she was trying to hide something. It became even clearer when I noticed Hannah's sweater drop off her shoulder and the bruises between her shoulder blades became visible.

I immediately tensed up as Hannah hurried to fix her sweater and Uriah noticed. Luckily dinner was over and we were just kind of chilling on the couch.

"Um, we should probably be going," Uriah said as he stood up and gave Kyle one last hug.

"Thanks for dinner," I said. Hannah didn't say anything, so David showed us out.

Uriah and I walked hand in hand back to our apartment. We barely made it in the door before I collapsed onto the couch in a sobbing mess. The memories of my childhood flooded back as I thought about how his mom is in the situation mine was all those years ago.