Chapter 49

"That concludes this year's Choosing Ceremony. Dauntless, don't forget next year," Johanna Reyes, leader of Amity, said.

"We won't," Uriah yelled back. We had maybe ten transfers, a small class until you add the twenty four Dauntless borns. Everytime someone committed to our faction Uriah and I led the members of the faction that were there in cheering and being obnoxious to welcome the newbies.

The obnoxious screaming and noisemaking continued as we made our way down the stairs and out the front door. Uriah and I ran off towards the tracks and started scaling the supports of the elevated tracks with ease.

"Take the second car, I'll take the first," Uriah said as more initiates made their ways onto the tracks. The train was making it's way towards us, and it wasn't slowing down and it definitely wasn't going to stop.

"Sounds good. See ya there hottie," I said.

"See ya there babe," he said. The train got closer so he started running. I waited maybe three seconds and started running myself. I jumped into the second car and hit the button to open the door before I swung my body into the car. Eight initiates made it into my car before the edge of the tracks ended and there was just the tracks themselves left.

"God, are they trying to kill us?" An Erudite transfer asked.

"Not yet," I responded.

"And you are?" He asked cockily.

"You should know," I said. "But in Alex, a Dauntless leader and ambassador to Erudite."

"How? You're like half my size," he said, standing up to try and intimidate me with his size.

"Good try, but my boyfriend is about your size. It's going to take a lot more than that to scare me," I said. I headed over to the door as we approached our exit.

"Jump, or don't," I said as the first wave of kids jumped and screamed.

I stepped back from the door a little and jumped, landing and rolling with ease. All eight kids followed me quickly, scared to not make it. I headed over to where Uriah was and stood next to him.

"Is he the hot shot boyfriend?" The Erudite kid asked.

"I am, but Alex doesn't need me. He could kick your ass on his own," Uriah said. Tori walked over to us, her group of kids all making it.

"So we haven't lost anyone yet," Uriah said. I rolled my eyes at the statement but let them take the lead.

"I'm Uriah. He is Alex, and she is Tori," Uriah said. "We are all part of Dauntless leadership and Alex and I train initiates."

"You're probably wondering why we've gathered you on the roof considering the Dauntless compound is underground," Tori said.

"Well," I said, looking over the ledge towards the black hole. "Someone's gotta jump first."

It was deadly silent for a few minutes before Uriah spoke up. "We have a bunch of pansycakes this year."

"Stop with that word," Tori groaned.

"Seriously, no one wants to go first?" I asked.

"Yeah, Tris and Alex were practically fighting for the first spot last year," Uriah said.

"Someone has to go first. We have all day," I said.

"No we don't. I want to eat dinner," Tori said.

"And we have children, idiot," Uriah said lovingly.

"Theoretically, we have all day. In actuality, we have about two minutes before I push one of you," I said.

Still, no one volunteered. Eventually a small bodied Dauntless born girl stepped forward.

"I'll do it," she said. She had pink hair and a fit frame but she was small. She stepped onto the ledge and jumped, screaming slightly.

After her, people started to volunteer more quickly. Once all the initiates jumped, Tori did, then me, and finally Uriah.