Chapter 40

The next few days consisted of mostly just visiting the twins so we could bond with them. It was sweet to see Uriah holding them. His huge arms seemed to swallow up the babies, but he held them like they were made of glass.

"Hey, AJ," Uriah cooed softly. He was busy changing AJ's diaper, a task Christina made us learn the day we adopted them.

"I'm Dada, and your Daddy over there," he said, winking at me, even though neither of us have a Daddy kink, thank God.

"What about me?" I asked, picking Maeve up and holding her close to my chest. I walked over to my boyfriend and our son.

"You're amazing, baby," he said, kissing my cheek while he finished clasping AJ's onsie back together.

"So are you," I said, kissing his nose, causing him to laugh at me.

"I love you, baby. And I love you AJ," Uriah said. Almost on cue Maeve started crying.

"Uh oh, someone's in trouble," I sang to annoy Uriah.

"Don't worry, Maeve-a-doodle," Uriah said. "I love you too."

Unfortunately, she continued to cry. Her diaper was fine, and she had just ate, so I decided to just coo to her and sing a lullaby.

"Woah, I didn't know you could sing," Uriah said.

"Babe, we've sang together before," I responded as we put the twins back in their hospital cribs.

"How many adult beverages had I had?" He asked.

"A few," I said while laughing. He groaned, a fake groan, but one that happened nonetheless.

"Babe," he whined. I laughed at him as the door opened.

"Hey, um, am I interrupting anything?" Four asked.

We both shook our heads no, so he entered the room and walked over to his niece and nephew. I heard him cooing to them gently.

"What's up?" Uriah asked as his arms snaked around my waist.

"Oh, uh, we can't exactly give you two paternity leave in the middle of everything that's going on," he said, referring to the situation with Jeanine.

"So, what're we going to do?" I asked.

"Well, you don't technically both have to be at work. One of you can be home with the twins and the other can be in the office. We have a Skype system set up so that you'd still be working with us full time, but you'd be here," he explained. "But, you'd have to take turns obviously."

"That's fine," Uriah said.

"That'll work. At least one of us can be with them," I said.

"Um, I need one of you in the office tomorrow," he said.

"I'll go," I volunteered. Uriah's always wanted to be a dad, so I'm willing to sacrifice some of my bonding time so that he has that, even though we're both dads now.

"Are you sure, baby?" Uriah asked.

"Yeah, of course. I mean, it gets me off diaper duty," I said jokingly.

"Probably not going to happen," he said. "You'll just get night duty."

"Alright, I'll see you bright and early tomorrow morning then Alex. Take care of my twins," Four said.

"They aren't yours," I said.

"I know, but I'm going to get to be the cool uncle," Four said.

"You and Zeke can duke it out in the Pit," I said. He laughed at me before saying goodbye to the twins and leaving.

That afternoon, we finally got to take the twins home.

They seemed to adjust fairly quickly, although Uriah didn't want to leave them in the nursery.

"Babe," I said. "It's okay. They're safe. We're right next door and we have a baby monitor."

"You sure?" He asked. I could tell he was tired.

"Yes, baby," I said, kissing his cheek and leading him to our bedroom.