Chapter 10

After I showered, I started a load of laundry so I would have clean clothes. We had unlimited access to three washer and dryer sets in the back of the dorms. I was one of the only ones who actually knew how to work a washer or dryer and that was only from some of the volunteer work I did in Abnegation. Abnegation doesn't believe in using washers or dryers for themselves, something about the water usage being selfish.

“Alex,” Uriah called, shoving the door open.

“In the back,” I said.

“Are you okay?” Uriah asked.

“No, we have too many of the same fears,” I said.

“That's why you went through his. He thought it'd help for you to go through it with someone else first. He cares about you,” Uriah said.

“I know,” I said.

“You okay?” Uriah asked.

“My back hurts,” I said.

“Let me see it,” he said.

“No really, I'll be fine,” I said.

“Alex, come here,” he said. “Let me see your back.”

“No, Uriah,” I said.

“Come here,” he said. “Four said he'd pull a couple of Dauntless borns so we could talk.”

“I can't Uriah,” I said, starting to cry again.

“Can't what?” He asked.

“My back is all scarred over,” I said.

“From what?” He asked. I peeled my shirt over my head and turned around so he could see my back.

“They're whip marks,” he said. “From a belt.”

“How'd you figure that out?” I asked.

“Zeke whipped my leg with his leather belt one time,” he said. “How'd this happen?”

“My dad,” I said.

“Your dad?” He asked, shock filling his voice.

“Who all knows?” He asked.

“Just Four and I. Our mom passed when I was like three,” I said.

“I'm really happy you're here now and not there,” he said. I pulled my shirt back on and turned to face him.

“Thanks,” I said. “It means a lot.”

“Does it?” He asked.

“Yeah, come on. We have to hang out here, but can we talk about something else?” I asked.

“Yeah, come on,” he said, leading me over to my bunk.

We spent all afternoon talking about anything to take our minds off of everything. Dinner that night was quiet because everyone was scared out of their mind. Peter didn't even bother showing up.

“How're you holding up?” Four asked, getting in line for the buffet type dinner the Dauntless cafeteria had set up.

“Terrible,” I said, looking at Uriah who was busy getting himself like an entire cake.

“Does he help?” Four asked as we both got our plates and started to get food.

“Yeah, he does,” I said.

“Do you like him?” Four asked.

“Yeah, he's my friend,” I said.

“That's not what I meant. You can be yourself here. You can marry whoever you want,” he said.

“It doesn't matter how much I like him. He probably doesn't like me back,” I said.

“I'd think again,” Four said. “Zeke and I have been friends for two years now so I know Uriah is openly bisexual.”

We headed back to the table and I sat down beside Uriah and across from Four.

“So Uriah,” Zeke said. “Has any, ya know, caught your eye?”

“There is someone, but I think we both need to focus on initiation right now,” he said before shoveling his food down his throat.