Chapter 18

“Alright, what are we gonna do this afternoon?” Uriah asked. We were sitting in the half full cafeteria at a table by ourselves and discussing whatever came to mind.

“I don't know,” I responded.

“Me either,” he said. “We can't get drunk yet.”

“No, we cannot,” I said. “Tomorrow we find out our ranks and get assigned to our new jobs.”

“Speaking of, what job do you want?” He asked.

“I heard there was one open for Faction Ambassador to Erudite,” I said.

“Is that really what you want to do?” He asked.

“Yeah, why? What were you thinking?” I asked.

“I just figured you'd be like a nurse or something,” he said, shrugging slightly.

“No thanks. I'm not really a fan of dealing with blood,” I said. “What job do you want?”

“Faction leadership. Max retired so there's an opening. And initiate training,” he said.

“Initiate training would be cool,” I said.

“Yeah. Four is trying to up the people working with initiates, so there should be enough openings for the both of us,” Uriah said.

That afternoon, Uriah and I wandered around for a little bit before heading back to the dorm rooms to hang out.

“Uriah, I've never thanked you for taking a chance on the Stiff,” I said, sitting down beside him on my bed.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“Well, you talked to me when no one else would, and you believed in me when no one else did,” I said.

Uriah wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in my bright blonde hair. “I love you and you're welcome.”

“I love you too, Uriah,” I said.

It was quiet for a few minutes as the two of us just laid there. I enjoyed the silence, especially since there wasn't much of it in Dauntless.

“Babe,” Uriah said hesitantly, trying to see if I was still awake.

“Hmm,” I responded.

“I promised to tell you about David earlier,” Uriah said.

“Yeah, what's going on there?” I asked. “He seemed pretty young.”

“He's Zeke and Four’s age,” Uriah said.

“That young?” I asked shocked.

He nodded in response before continuing. “He used to be the third of the three musketeers. It was always Zeke, Four, and David. Until David met my mother. He claims he fell in love instantly. Zeke and David got into a huge fight over it and they stopped talking. David took that as his opportunity to start trying to seduce my mother. Well, shortly after they started dating, we got into a big fight. I won, which made my mom start yelling at me too. Anyways, they got married and Mom had Kyle. David still hasn't forgiven me for beating him.

“Things are still tense, but Kyle and I are close so I have to stick around. I mean I love Kyle to death. I practically raised him while David was busy being a teenager still,” Uriah said.

“I'm really sorry to hear that,” I said, hugging Uriah tighter.

“Thanks babe,” he said, burying his face in my hair to try and hide his tears.

After a few minutes, we realized it was time for dinner. Uriah was hesitant because of the fact he appeared to have been crying. It only took the mention of cake for him to get up and moving. Well, that and the other initiates had started piling back into the dorms.

“Where are you disappearing to already?” Tris asked.

“We haven't ate dinner yet,” I said simply before dragging Uriah out of the dorms and to the cafeteria.