Chapter 55

After the end of the ceremony, everyone headed to one of the biggest rooms in the compound for the reception. There was a dance floor set up in the corner with the DJ booth nearby. There was a candy bar and three other food buffets along with an actual bar. There were some rounds tables set up with place settings and name tags for each guest.

When Uriah and I arrived, everyone was already dancing and having a good time. I smiled at Uriah as we heard the DJ announce our entrance. We walked in hand in hand and everyone began cheering. Uriah stopped me short and turned me so he could kiss my lips quickly.

"C'mon baby, let's go take a seat," Uriah said, leading me over to our table. After we sat down, the catering staff brought out our food and began to serve everyone. I balanced Adalyn in one of my arms as I ate a small part of my meal between talking to people.

After we ate were the speeches. Three of them to be exact. Zekeand Four had both agreed to give speeches in that order.

"Good afternoon ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, for those of you that do not know me already, my name is Ezekiel (Or Zeke to the majority of you) and I am Uriah’s Best Man. Before I get in to the swing of things, I hear that there is a sweepstake doing the rounds for how long my speech will last, and the nearest to the time wins the money in the pot. So, I would just like to ask my Missus, Shauna, what time she has predicted, and to also ask her to put me down for around the 1 hour 10 minutes mark and we should not be too far off. So this is the first time I have been asked to carry out the Best Man duties and I must confess to you all I am extremely nervous. This must be the fifth time today I have left a warm seat with several pieces of paper in my hand. Now I did read somewhere that a Best Man’s speech should not take any longer than it takes the Groom to make love. So, on that note ladies and gentlemen, and not wanting to disappoint, can I ask you all to raise your glasses as we toast the new Mr. and Mr. Pedrad," Zeke quit talking and took a seat.

I looked at Uriah and told him to get his brother under control, but he didn't want to listen to me.

"OK OK I am only joking," he said, standing back up. "As with any wedding, there is a select list of people who I would just like to say a few special words about. Firstly, I would like to thank you all for making the journey here today, to help celebrate this wonderful occasion. It's amazing the distances people travel for a free meal. A special thanks to both of the Ushers, Will and Adam. I know Uriah had a huge dilemma when selecting two of his good mates to do the difficult task of directing people to their seats in. Well done guys. A massive, massive thank you to my mom, Hannah who has helped out enormously to make today possible. And to Uriah and Alex, thanks for finally getting married."

I rolled my eyes at Zeke, making sure he noticed that I'd done it.

"What can you say about a man who came from humble beginnings, a man who is now quickly rising to the very top of his profession, based solely on intelligence, grit and the will power to push on were others have fallen. A man who is beginning to distinguish himself at the highest level amongst his peers, and were nobody can say a bad word against him. But that’s enough about me, what I am really here for this afternoon, is to talk to you all about my baby brother, Uriah Francis Pedrad."

I scoffed slightly, remembering his middle name for the first time in ages. He looked at me, but I smiled innocently and he dropped the matter.

"Uriah arrived into this world on Friday the 13th (which does explain a lot) of December 1974. I decided to do a bit of research in to that date, to see what other monumental events had occurred over the years. The black plague strikes London. Jack the Ripper claims his first victim. Germany invades Poland. So Uriah, I guess you are just the latest, in a long line of disasters. He does however share the same birthday as Radio 1 DJ Sara Cox, so I decided to have a look in to what song was number 1 in the charts back then. On discovering the answer, I thought to myself how relevant the song is to today. The number 1 on that day back then (Anybody know). BARRY WHITE: - YOU’RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING. Words I thought which are so appropriate and meaningful for today."