Chapter 33

"Who was that?" Marcus asked as I walked back into the house.

"Uriah Pedrad," I said.

"Oh, who's he?" The woman asked.

"Uh, my-my," I stuttered. I cleared my throat before continuing. "He's my boyfriend ma'am."

"No need for that ma'am crap. I'm Victoria," the woman said, extending her hand.

"It's nice to meet you, ma'am," I said. "I'm Alex."

"Well, Alex," she said. "I just finished dinner, so let's eat."

I breathed out in relief as Marcus followed her to the kitchen where the same small table still stood in the corner. I knew if I played it off as not knowing who Marcus was she'd believe me. From what I could tell she was a ditzy Amity transfer. She'd have to be if she fell for Marcus.

"So, Alex, how's Dauntless?" She asked as she sat a plate of food in front of me.

"Hon, I'm sure he doesn't want to talk to us," Marcus said.

"No, it's fine. I'm used to talking during meals anymore," I said. "Dauntless is great. A little crazy, but fun nonetheless."

"Yeah, I heard they were implementing a new training process for the initiates," Marcus said. His voice sounded gruff like he'd been yelling a lot recently.

"Yeah, we've been talking about it. Erudite's been developing some new tech stuff for us so there's going to have to be some tech involved now," I said, eating slowly. After eating in Dauntless, Abnegation food is so bland I want to cry. I really just want a big plate of cheese fries.

One week. I remind myself. Just one week until I get out of this house.

"Thanks for dinner. I'm going to go sit outside until dark," I said, knowing there was about an hour of daylight left.

"Well, if you need a drink or anything let us know," Victoria said sweetly. I nodded in thanks and headed out to the front steps.

I had been sitting on the steps, tossing stones into the road and watching for Erudite for about a half hour when Uriah finally made his way outside. Four expected an evening or early morning attack, so we were all supposed to be armed and outside after dinner until sundown and Dawn until about 10:00 am.

"Nice of you to join us," I joked as he took his seat. There was a different Dauntless member on the steps of each house. The black definitely stood out in this world of gray.

"Look, we were talking," he said in attempt to defend himself.

"Mhmm, I'm sure," I said jokingly.

"How long until we're home?" Uriah asked. The streets of Abnegation are so narrow that I can talk and he will hear me just fine.

"This just started, bud. But, if we're lucky Tori will take pity on us and bring us cake," I said.

"I would love her forever," he said.

"What about me?" I asked, tossing a pebble at him. He faked being scared and trying to dodge the pebble.

"I love you as my boyfriend and her as my best friend," he said, but it came out as more of a question mark.

"Alex," someone called from down the road. Without thinking, I hopped up and drew my gun from my hip holster and jogged down to where he was.

"Who are you?" I asked the person dressed in blue as I pulled my gun up and aimed for his chest.

"Jeanine sent me," he said. "She said you'd be here and I should give you this."

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's in my pocket, please don't shoot me," he said.

"Grab it," I said, and he pulled a white paper envelope from his pocket. I walked over with my gun still pointed at his chest and grabbed the envelope. He took off running as I opened it.