Chapter 16

This is it. Today is Family Day. And, I couldn't be more stressed. I know my father probably isn't going to show up, but I'm still worried about it.

“C'mon. Stop worrying and get dressed,” Tris said. She honestly is one of my closest friends here. Her and Christina kind of took me in after the first few days.

“Okay, Jesus,” I said, grabbing my clothes for the day and getting dressed.

“Where is he?” Someone yelled.

“Depends on who he is,” Christina yelled.

“Alex,” the voice spoke again. The way it hissed my name meant it could only be one person. My father.

“We haven't seen him,” Tris said.

“Beatrice, that is no way to act,” he said softly.

The door slammed open as someone ran in.

“Alex,” Uriah yelled. I faintly heard Four and Marcus talking, so I walked out of the showers where I had walked off to to change.

“Uriah, I'm right here,” I said walking up to him. He immediately wrapped his arms around me.

“I promised he wasn't going to touch you,” he said, running his fingers through my hair.

“I know, baby. I know,” I said.

“Marcus, as leader of this faction, I'm going to have to ask you to leave,” Four said.

“I'm not leaving until I speak with my son,” he said.

“Your son is no longer your son. Faction before blood, remember?” I asked without letting go of Uriah or making any attempt at looking at him.

“Leave. Now. I'm not asking anymore. I'm telling,” Four said. I heard Marcus storm off and Uriah sighed in relief.

Uriah and I sat down on my bed as everyone else made their way towards the cafeteria.

“You okay?” Four asked. He squatted down in front of me and started looking me over to be sure I was okay.

“Yeah, he didn't get close enough to me to hurt me,” I said.

“Why don't you spend the day with Uriah? I'm worried Marcus will come back and I know Uriah will protect you,” Four said.

“Yeah, my mom's dying to meet you anyways,” Uriah said.

“Sure,” I said, leaning into Uriah's shoulder. We stood up and headed off to breakfast together.

“Why don't you go sit down with Zeke? I'll bring you hash browns and a bacon and cheese omelet,” Uriah said as we entered the cafeteria.

“That sounds perfect,” I said as I headed over to the table with Zeke. Shauna was also sitting with him.

“Hey, Alex. How're you?” Zeke asked.

“Pretty good. How're you two?” I asked.

“Great,” Shauna replied sarcastically.

“I see,” I said. I felt goosebumps form on my arms like someone was watching me. I tried to pass it off as the cafeteria being cold, but pulling the sleeves of Uriah sweatshirt down onto my hands didn't help at all.

“Zeke,” I said, trying to stay calm.

“Hmm,” he responded.

“Uh, Marcus Eating isn't behind me looking like he's going to kill me is he?” I asked.

“No, you're good. Why?” He asked.

“He came looking for me this morning, and I just got cold chills like someone is watching me,” I said.

“Nah, it was just Uriah,” he said.

“What was just me?” Uriah asked, setting my plate down in front of me and joining us at the table.

“The person looking at me,” I said.

Uriah rolled his eyes at me before joining us at the table for breakfast.

“Come on. Mom's dying to meet you,” Uriah said as we finished breakfast.

“Let's go,” I said, taking his hand and following him to the Hub.