Chapter 47

"Alex, baby boy, why don't we go upstairs?" Uriah asked. We'd been sitting on the couch watching Christmas movies since we got home from Zeke's.

I sat up, turning to face him. The blanket that had previously been thrown over the two of us was now on the floor. The exposed skin of my arms was covered in goosebumps from the freezing cold air of the apartment.

"Uriah, I'm, uh, I'm really sorry about snapping at you earlier," I said softly.

"It's okay baby," he said. "You had a flashback. I understand that. My Dad had PTSD too. His presented itself mostly as nightmares but I remember it."

"Thank you," I said, looking up to his dark features. His eyes were almost solid black because of the dim lighting in our living room. His skin was dark, but his snake tattoo still stood out.

"For what?" He asked, genuinely curious as to why I was thanking him.

"For loving me, even when I don't love myself," I said, running a hand through my dirty blonde hair nervously.

"Baby," he said softly. His pointer finger tapped under my chin gently to get me to look up and meet his eyes.

"Yes?" I asked, meeting his dark eyes with my own light blue ones.

"My job as your future husband is to love you with all my heart. That means loving you even when you hate me. That means loving you even when you don't love yourself. I love you so, so, so much," he said, kissing my lips gently.

"I love you too, babe," I said, resting our foreheads together. He pulled me into his lap so I was straddling his waist and pushed the Hem of my shirt up just enough that his fingertips could graze the bare skin of my torso.

"Alex, do you really want to marry me?" Uriah asked.

"Babe. I love you with all my heart. I want to be with you forever. There's no one in this world that I'd rather spend every moment with. Even if I spend every moment of forever with you, it still won't be enough. I know that I'm hard to love sometimes, but you love me through those times, and that makes me love you even more. So, to answer your question, yes I really, really want to marry you," I said, kissing his lips gently at the end. He tried to deepen the kiss, but I pulled away, not wanting it to go too far right here. 

"What?" He asked, almost becoming self conscious. I actually mean almost because Uriah doesn't know the meaning of self consciousness or embarrassment.

"Why don't we head upstairs now?" I asked, standing up and grabbing his hand. He smiled at me mischievously and led me upstairs while muttering something about getting our real Christmas presents.