Chapter 14- Dinner Date

Henry

"Morris... This is just dinner."
"Now, hush My Lord. You need this blazer and you are ready to go. It is not good that the Lady will wait for you." My butler who is as stubborn as a bull replied. He insists that a suit is needed for this dinner. He cut my hair and asked me to repeat to shave because my first attempt didn't pass his expertise.
"Don't forget to smile My Lord. Dazzle that Lady with your smile."

I inhale deeply to calm my nerve. Why I even nervous about this dinner?

"Can we go now, Morris?" I asked with irritation.
"Yes My Lord. Ow... perfume. Let me get it." He went to my walk-in closet and came back with a bottle.
"Now...off you go My Lord. You need to wait for Lady Xykie at the bottom stair. I will fetch her. Go..." Morris drives me away from my room. I didn't even know he is in charge of my appearance until this very moment.

Christ... I am wearing a tux just for this dinner. Morris waited for me to climb down the stairs before he proceeds to Xykie's bedroom. While waiting at the bottom of the stair, I noticed that the manor is bright tonight. Extra lights are on. The window drapes are open and the natural air is circulating the whole house. The manor looks alive...and homey.

My attention was caught when I heard Morris. When I look up, my breath was taken away. Xykie is holding his arms. Her hair is in curls. She's wearing a yellow dress. Her eyes are sparkling with glee. Her lips are moist and pink. Her cheeks are blushing. She looks, beautiful. I was looking at them while they are descending and they stop at the last step.

She cleared her throat. I hope she is as lost as me tonight when it comes to words.
"My Lord, I didn't know that I need a dress for dinner." She said. Eyes are dancing with wickedness.
"It's all Morris's idea...I'm afraid," I replied. I offered my arm to her and she immediately takes it.
She giggled.

I take her outside in the garden, overlooking the river. There is a full moon and it reflects at the water.
"Wow..." She murmured. She is looking at the reflection of the moon at the river and I am looking at her.
Yes indeed... I am as speechless as you.
"My Lady, the dinner is this way if you are quite famished."
"Let's go. I'm hungry. This formal dinner is not necessary but still, I'm quite speechless. Thank you, Henry. This is one of the wonderful things I am longing for a long time." She said.
I lead her to the gazebo that the dinner was set. I am impressed with Morris for the trouble that he did. There are fairy lights that are hanging on the ceiling and wall... The outside of the gazebo was decorated with real flowers. And in the middle of it, there is a table for two with candles at the center. There is someone who is playing with the violin at the corner.

"Wow..." She said for the second time tonight.
I help her to settle on her seat before I took mine.
"Sana walang isda sa menu." She said.
I look at her questioning and she chuckled.
"Ayaw kong matinik." She said that made me chuckle.

Dinner served. I'm impressed that she knows how to use the different utensils for this kind of formal dinner. She asked me about my childhood, this manor... about my work. She asked me about simple things and I saw that she listened. And I am glad she didn't ask me about my family. We talked about France for she is longing to see Brittany and the old French villages. She is smart I give her that.

"I thought you will go to Paris," I said. We are walking towards the manor. I haven't tour her around the house and she insisted that tonight is fine to tour her for she understands that I was busy earlier.
"That was my original plan." She replied.
"What change?" I asked her. I open the door for her and she rewarded me with her warm smile. I put her hand in my arm again.
"I am enjoying it here." She replied.

I lead her to the library and the dining area. The parlor and the kitchen. I told her what rooms and the use of them. Thank God I don't have a valet for she is making fun of William for having one.

"This is the ballroom," I told her.
The room was lighted...I think it's Morris's idea again. Usually, we leave this room in the dark.
"Wow." She said again. Her eyes are looking above. At the crystal chandeliers that are hanging at the center of the room.
"Can I have a dance, Henry?"
I look like a deer caught in the headlight, probably. Because I heard her laugh softly.
"There is no music," I replied.
On cue, soft music started and can hear from the whole room.
Grrr... Morris!
"There's our music." She said smirking.

(Music)
Tale as old as time
True as it can be

I hold her one hand and place the other one on my shoulder.

(Music)
Barely even friends
Then somebody bends
Unexpectedly

Then I guide her into a waltz.

"Who would have thought that you could dance?" She jested. I spin her around and catch her. She is looking at my eyes.
"Your eyes are like gold. So beautiful." She whispered.

(Music)
Just a little change
Small to say the least
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared

"Beauty and the Beast" She sing along. Murmuring every word and I am drowning with her voice.

"Xykie..." I called her name.
"Hmmm?"
"You should stay away from me," I told her. Convincing her that I am not what she needed.
"Don't you think I haven't done that? But here I am...as fragile as a moth...still looking at the flame." She stops dancing but she's still holding me.
"You will get burned, Xykie," I said. I hold her hand and bring it to my lips. Kissing each knuckle.
"I already crossed half of the globe just to be right here next to you. Don't push me away." She whispered and I close my eyes for I do not want to see her raw feelings for me.