Chapter 27- Warning Bells

Henry

I woke up with a headache and a body beside me. The first thought that came to me is, thus Xykie went with me last night? Then reality hits me.

"What are you doing in here?"  I am sure in a foul mood as I saw Bernadette on my bed wearing a nightgown that didn't hide much.
"Resting beside you, darling." She replied.
"How did you get in?" I stand up and place a distance between us.
"I am the one who helps you last night in case you forgot what happened. Oh, you are dreadfully drunk and the pub owner wanted to close the pub. You were the last customer there." She explained.
"It doesn't give you any right to lay in my bed."
She rolled her eyes. "But you are willing to spend the night in my bed. What's the difference?" 

"You better get dress..."  I went outside of my bedroom. Feeling sick on Bernadette. She is like my mother... Willing to open her legs for the highest title.

"Why all of a sudden, you are pushing me? What's wrong with you? Is it because of that child?" Bernadette followed me where ever I go.
"She is not a child."
"Oh yes, she is. Young and pretty and with Lucas."
"What?"
"Lucas was here earlier...with that...Asian monkey."  She said will full of disgust.
I hold her throat and I can feel her fear now.
"Call her monkey again, and you will see yourself at the top of a pole." I aggressively release her that she stumbled a little and step backward.
"Get out of my house." I narrowed my eyes to her.
"You are... an ungracious beast..." She said that made my blood boil.
"Get out or I will drag you to the pavement with that dreadful clothes you wear,"  I growled at her.
"You will pay for this, Henry."
"Do not give threats that will backfire you,"  I said slowly to her. Bernadette retreats to my bedroom and changes her clothes. She slammed the door when she leaves.

It was past midnight now, Xykie must be sleeping...or with Lucas.
I spent my nights after that conversation with Leticia, in pubs. I am trying to forget that horrible woman who destroyed my life. I can't leave that past behind. The picture of my dead father laying on them full of blood, without life, haunting me until now. If only I am strong enough to fight for his honor. If only... So I vow to protect my country and became the last knight. But things change...Everything that I value was taken away from me... My father, my vow and honor... my peace of mind. What's next?

Xykie? Like what my mother said, she is still young. Full of life. And knowing she was here with Lucas earlier made me want to ask for a duel with Lucas. Then I will become my father.
I will not allow it... This must end, for the sake of all of us. This, whatever I have with Xykie, must end. NOW.

With that in mind, I went to my cellar, and drink my hearts out until I am passed out on the cold floor. Ending these charades will be hard, I know. But I never imagine this will hurt me. She creeps in me without me even knowing it. That blasted child.

I woke up in the middle of the day the next day with a headache again and someone is pounding at the door. Whoever the devil at my door should have a very good explanation on why he is knocking like his life depends on it. I stand up and tried not to puke as the acid rise from my stomach. I haven't eaten since that dreadful conversation.

I yanked the door open and a guard who is pale and sweating looked at me. He was about to knock again when I open the door.
"What?"  I shouted at him making him jump.
" Sir..." He was stammering. "...Prince William is asking for your presence at the palace."
"Tell him I am not in dispose of," I replied and close the door. But the guards stop it.
"Sir, there was an attacked outside the palace and..."  He informed me.
"...And what?" 
"And Lady Xykie was injured."  He finished his order with a bow.
"I was instructed to go back to the palace with you, Sir."  He added. But I was not listening to him. My mind went numb at the news that Xykie was injured...and I was not there.