Chapter 14

"TINY! TINY! TINY! TINYYYYYYY!" I kept frantically yelling not really sure of what to do.

I could go into the woods, but I don't know what direction she went in and I don't want to get lost.

But I also don't want to leave because she might be close by, what if she needs help?

"What happened?" Page asked with all the girls behind her. They were all winded from running up the hill.

"Tiny's gone." My eyes watered and I felt a lump in my throat. I'm scared, I'm scared that she might get hurt. All because of me, I could have run faster and seen where she went. Or I could have been a better friend, more understanding. She ran away because of me, I can't live with myself if something happens to her.

"Hey, calm down, do you know where she went? "Page was alert looking around as if Tiny would pop out in plain sight.

I shook my head, trying my best to hold my tears back.

"RILEY, BRITTANY, run down to Head Counselor Dean's cabin. Tell him we have a 404!"

In no time, the police were here. They looked around but didn't seem to be having any leads on which direction she went. In my opinion, it's like they weren't even trying.

I needed to go look for her, I feel like I needed to do something. I feel like I'm responsible for her being gone and I can't just lay here and do nothing.

I got up from my bed, "Dev, where are you going?" Tiffany's groggy voice whispered behind me.

"I'm just going to the bathroom, I'll be right back," I lied.

The policemen were focused on their job so they didn't pay any attention to me walking by. I wondered towards the main camp, not really knowing where to go. I just needed to do something useful with myself.

I walked around the East side of camp,avoiding the West in order to not get caught by head counselor Dean. I wandered into the clearing, where most of the kids liked to play football or soccer.

In the distance, I saw the bridge that lead us to the cave a few days ago. Tiny's a smart girl, I don't think she would go into the woods to get herself lost... maybe she went into the cave?

I nervously walked towards the bridge pausing every 10 seconds to rethink what I'm about to do. I had a whole conversation with myself.

"Devin, are you CRAZY?! You're about to walk into the woods, alone, in the middle of the night, where no one knows you're gone. Leave it to the police. What if an animal kills you?"

"Shut up, Devin, you're fine. You're a fast runner, and I doubt animals would wander so near to a human settling. The police aren't perfect, they don't know her like you do. And as a plus if you find Tiny, she'll be safe, and you get to apologize. You will be fine, what could happen?"

"I'm glad you asked, actually quite a lot could happen. You could trip and twist your ankle. Or the bridge could break and you would fall into the stream and drown. Or you could run into a bear, or a venomous snake, or worst of all, a SPIDER!"

I shivered at the thought.

"And that's just a few things you should definitely not go."

"HAHA, too late, she's already passed the bridge and is about to cross the tree line."

I paused at the edge of the woods contemplating whether or not to go.

"See? I told you, it's to dangerous."

"Eff off, IN WE GO DEVIN!"

I paced through the path as quickly as possible so I could get out as soon as possible. The path was longer than I remembered. The moon was out tonight but I couldn't see it, the branches and leaves covered its light leaving me with a dying flashlight. The light would flicker as if threatening to turn off, but it never quite did.

I reached the cave, it had a big opening. Wind rustled through the leaves and into the cave. As if the mouth of the cave was trying to suck my in.

"And never let you go."

"Shut up!"

I shook my head trying to ignoring my thoughts.

I finally stepped forward letting the wind lead me. The flashlight was flickering even more, it blacked out a couple times but always came back. The farther into the cave I went the longer it's black outs would be.

"It's a sign Devin! Turn around!"

"Devin, I swear to God. YOU. ARE. FINE. You're just paranoid."

"Paranoia keeps you ALIVE."

Ugh, honestly, it's like I have two very different people in my head. One is laid back and chill, the other is a over thinking, paranoid, psycho.

The light gave out, I ignored it and continued walking in pitch blackness.

"The light doesn't turn back on in the next 15 seconds, and we're ou-ooooooot"

My foot got caught on something but my body proceeded to move forward making my tumble down and fall on my face.

"PLEH!" I spit out dirt.

"Who's that?" A shaky voice called out.

"TINY!" I screamed, tackling her into a hug immediately recognizing the voice.

"Devin?" Tiny's voice sounded relieved, but I heard disappointment in there too.

"What are you doing here?" I let her go.

"Well, I was sleeping soundly until someone kicked me." She leaned against the cave wall and sat down.

"Well, you made me fall and almost die," I protested, but sat with her.

Tiny let out a laugh, a real genuine laugh.

"Tiny?"

"Hmm?"

"What am I so clueless about?"

She was silent but finally let out a long sigh," Devin I really like you, like as in more than a friend . Like... Like as a girlfriend."

"Oh."

I personally hate the response "oh," it's the biggest conversion killer ever. But at this moment, I don't know what else to say. I do think she's pretty, and was attracted to her in the beginning. But she kinda went out the window once I saw Quinn.

There was a long awkward silence.

"Tiny, I think you're great, I actually used to have a crush on you. Not like a crush, crush but you know like...a tiny little crush. Like I thought you were really cute." I rambled

she didn't say any thing, and an awkward silence stretched out longer than comfortable.

I nervously laughed. "But... I'm dating Quinn now... and... I really like her."