52

Athena Elle Carter

"When are you going to go then?" Leon asks me handing me a cup of tea. "I don't know" I shrug. He gives me a pity smile.

"I want him in the babies life a hundred percent, I don't want want my baby to have a broken home" I tell him. "And if that means spending time with him then I will, not for me but for the baby"

"You love him though Athena, I thought you would've wanted to spend time with him" he says.

"Hmm it's just weird. I do love him but he hurt me, I'm just seeing him as a new person, he's someone I don't know" I shrug. My attempts not to cry were failing.

"Hey shh, he's coming soon and you need to not show him your okay" he rubs my arm up and down. "And you need to be strong for your baby"

For my baby.

I breathe in deeply nodding. I felt as though I had developed this deep anxiety, I didn't want to call it anxiety but it felt like it. I was feeling on edge, all the time.

"He's here" he tells me. I nod getting up grabbing my bag.

"You got this Athena, I know you and I know you have this" he kisses my forehead. It wasn't romantic at all, it just felt safe.

I go open the door as Leon goes to his room.

"Hey" Shawn smiles. "Hi" I walk out shutting the door behind me. I don't look at him yet, I lock the door walking ahead. He quickly catches up.

"How're you feeling?" He asks. I feel him move closer then his hand slips in mine. "Nervous" I move my hand away and I hear a faint sigh.

"Are you showing yet?" He asks. I finally look up at him. His eyes were already set on me, I wondered how long he had been looking.

"Just a tiny bit. All my clothes still fit me" I say. A small smile sets on his lips. "Any sickness?" He asks. I knew he was just intrigued, he probably genuinely wanted to know how I was doing but his questions were irritating me but also making me feel welcomed by him. Like I said, I'm still confused.

"Every morning. It's disgusting" I admit getting in the lift. He follows silently pressing the ground floor. Moments of silence pass by, the doors open and I follow him to his car.

He opens the door for me which I appreciated of course, he has always been chivalrous. "Thanks" I mumble getting in. He closes the door and jogs over to the other side quickly.

-
"Hi, Mr and Mrs mendes, so lovely to see you. I'm doctor vanya" the woman grins.

"Hi, it's Miss Carter, Athena is okay" I tell her. I notice Shawn shift uncomfortably but I hadn't lied, I wasn't his wife.

"Oh sorry I assumed because of the ring on you finger, very beautiful by the way Mr mendes" she smiles over at it.

"Shawn and thank you" He smiles back sitting down.

"So let's get started. Athena keys have you in the bed, just sit back for me and can we have the jumper lifted up please" she tells me. I do as she says, I put my hands together nervously fiddling with my ring. I notice Shawn moved his chair closer to me. He takes my hand and I let him, his warm palm wraps around my hand.

"Okay, I'm going to put this gel on, it is a little cold. Then using the wand we're going to detect the uterus, the foetus and see how far along you are" she smiles gently putting the gel on my stomach.

Then she places the wand, applying light pressure on my stomach moving it around as she keeps her eyes on the screen.

Shawn squeezes my hand so I look over at him. "You okay?" He whispers. I nod reassuringly. "Are you?" I ask.

"Hmm I just want everything to be okay" he says calmly.

I couldn't tell if he meant right now with the scan or us in general or our future.

"There we go" Dr Vanya exclaims. I immediately look over and she moves the screen so I can see the sonogram.

"Right now its a little nine week green olive" Dr Vanya says.

"An olive? That's so tiny" I whisper. I was completely overwhelmed. There was an olive inside me. Well not an olive but you know what I mean.

My eyes went all glossy just thinking about the growth.

"So everything is perfect. You're very healthy and so is the olive" She smiles at me. "Next appointment, you'll be fourteen weeks and I'll be able to give you a due date and maybe the gender. Now do you have any questions?" She asks me.

I wipe my teary eyes shaking my head no.

"You're all good momma" she grins. I let out a small chuckle. "Are we all happy?" She asks.

I look over at Shawn nodding. He brings my hand to his lips, kissing my knuckles gently. "So happy" he nods with a bright smile.

"Perfect! Let's get you cleaned up and a printed sonogram and then just book the next appointments the desk"

-
I couldn't stop staring down at the sonogram of my baby. My little olive.

"I think that's the first I've seen a genuine smile from you for a while" Shawn says glancing over at me as he keeps his eyes on the road.

"Because I'm happy" I simply state. "So am I, out little olive is growing inside you" he chuckles happily. His laugh was still the best I've ever heard.

It falls silent then Shawn speaks up.

"Can we go out for dinner tonight? I want to just talk about what we're doing right now, what's the situation and everything" he says.

And it was reasonable, we both deserved a clear view of what we were and we're doing.

"Not out though. I can come over and cook" I tell him hopefully. "I'll cook, just tell me what you want" he says quickly.

"I don't want food poisoning whilst I'm pregnant" I say cheekily, he lets out a small laugh looking to me as he comes to a stop. His honey eyes meet me and I felt weak at my knees.

I quickly look away. I could no longer put myself first, it was the olive that was number one right now and will be from now on.