61

Shawn Mendes

When I tell you I was excited. I mean I was excited.

When Athena left that night I literally jumped up in happiness and I got packing my shit. Everything I had here was packed into several boxes in the space of a week.

Then the next week I helped Athena pack all her things which was quite fun. She was happy, well I hoped she was happy. She was smiling and singing along to music as we folded her clothes and taped up the boxes.

Today was our last day in New York and she wanted to spend it by saying goodbye to everyone.

I know I didn't have her. I know she's not mine but she's literally leaving everything behind for us, to start a family and that makes me love her even more.

"Shawn" Athena calls from her room. I walk into the empty room and she was sat in the floor.

"What's up?" I chuckles. "Can't get my shoes on" she chuckles. I laugh sitting down in front of her and I take her foot on my lap. "Why are you wearing heels?" I ask her doing the buckle.

"They're cute" she shrugs. I do the other one then get up putting my hand out to her she takes it getting up and she tugs her simple, short white dress down.

"How pregnant do I look?" She asks making me chuckle a shaw rubs over her bump. "Erm very?" I say cautiously.

"Perfect" She giggles walking away. I follow her grabbing my keys and her last bag. She takes her purse and lets out a deep breath.

"Good bye apartment" she says walking out. I laugh at her as she locks the door. "Where to first?" I ask her.

"To Erica" she says.
-
"Oh baby" Athena coos kissing Faye all over her face. "I'm gonna miss you and I'm gonna miss your mummy so much" She gets up pulling Erica into a hug.

The two girls stood hugging each other. I watch as Athena quickly wipes her eyes.

"Don't Athena" Erica whispers on the verge of crying. "Sorry" she pulls back.

"I love you okay? Don't be afraid to call me or text me. I'm still your bestie" Erica says taking her hands. "And you, Shawn. Take care of her. She's leaving everything here for you" Erica squints her eyes at me.

"And the baby" Athena says. Erica pulls her into a hug again.

"I'm so scared" I hear Athena mumble. "Oh babe, you've got nothing to be scared about" Erica kisses her cheek then they pull away.

"I'm coming back okay, don't do anything stupid" Athena says wiping her eyes. Then she leans down kissing Faye once more then she walks ahead of me. I could hear her sniffling as she tries to hold it in.

As we make it outside a bunch of photographers were already outside. Everyone rushes up to Athena so I quickly step beside her.

"Athena! Is the baby Shawn's?" Someone shouts.

"Why are you crying?"

"Are you really engaged?"

We ignore it all until I hear Athena gasp. Someone was holding her waist almost pulling her back.

"Stop fucking touching her" I shove him away and pull Athena towards me. "Move! Get out of the way. She's pregnant for God's sake!" I shout in anger. Athena laces her fingers with mine pulling me into the car.

"You okay?" I ask her. She nods looking up at me, her eyes filled with tears.

I knew I would be hearing about this soon.

"Where now?" I ask her. "Leo's" she says.

I nod driving away. God, I felt so bad. She didn't deserve any of this.

-
"And you're safe in Canada and Shawn is gonna protect you with his big muscles" Leo says making Athena chuckle.

"I'm gonna miss you. Thank you, for being here for me" she says putting a hand on his cheek. She then leans up kissing his cheek.

I felt a tinge of jealousy but I couldn't do anything she's not mine and plus who knows when she might see him again. He's her friend.

"You got this. Call me as soon as you get there" he hugs her once more.

"I will. Stay safe Leo" she walks away towards me and I could tell his wasn't getting easier. We reach the downstairs lobby she stops for a second to wipe her eyes.

"Hey, they all love you, you know that right? They can come whenever they want to see you and the baby" I tell her putting my hands at the sides of her face and I let my thumbs wipe her cheeks.

"Last stop then we can go" she says lowly. I nod slipping my hand in hers as we walk out to flashing cameras and shouting people.

-
Athena looks around anxiously. She had pressed the intercom button twice and no answer.

I could tell her heart was getting heavy by the way she was playing with her engagement ring with her hands rested on the bump, the way her breathing was slightly staggered and her eyes looking around like she was on edge.

She presses it again and this time it beeps back.

She looks at me and I nod at her to speak.

"Mum? Or dad or Sam? It's Athena. I... I just really want to talk just for five minutes. I'm- I'm having a baby boy and I would really like it if you were in his life. Please... please just give me two minutes" she sniffles.

"I'm really sorry and-"

She gets cut off when the intercom beeps again signalling that whoever was listening had turned it off.

"Athena" I place a hand on her shoulder but she shrugs me off.

"What times the flight?" She asks wiping her away at her tears. I raise my eyebrows at her but she looks away starting to walk out.

"In a hour" I tell her. "Good, we should just go now" she mumbles getting in the car.

I get in beside her telling the driver where we need to go. She moves up to the window and she just looks outside. Taking it in one last time before we leave. I decide to let her be, I couldn't imagine how hard this was for her.

Within twenty minutes we were at the private jet, I had Andrew book it so Athena could be as comfortable as possible. She takes her purse and follows the crew up to the plane and I follow.

Silently, she sits down and I sit beside her.

Then next thing you know we're in the air. I look over at Athena and my heart aches for her. Wordlessly she leans her head against my shoulder and wraps her arms around my bicep.

I just move my arms to hold her close.