CHAPTER 5

Where is Pekka?

And what about Rudolph the Rednosed?!

It seems that back in Finland things are taking a new turn. The first question has come from Elk while the second one is from Brown Bear. These questions are of utmost importance because now it's time for the nine fine animals to have their secret biannual meeting. However, there are only seven of them present, and two are missing.

Elk then makes a guess,

They are friends. Perhaps they are chilling out together in the city.

But don't you see my dear friend, they should be here. We have a lot of important things to talk about and after that it's time to make them happen. Though the rest of you are the ones to make it happen. I'm turning in soon for my long beauty winter sleep in my den.

"Shhhh. Be quiet please!" commands Wolverine.

"Oh, sorry. I can also hear some sounds of chuff-chuff-chuff, not far away from..." says Brown Bear but is interrupted by a bang and a loud clatter of metal. All of them rush in the direction of the noise, go through the thicket and come to a clearing. There they see a heap of helicopter parts and a pair of antlers sticking out of the heap.

"It's Rudolph!" retorts Whooper Swan.

They rush to his rescue and start throwing the helicopter parts away from the heap. Soon enough they can see Rudolph's face. His face is a bit pale but soon the colour starts coming back to it.

Rudolph mumbles, "Hi... everyone."

Saimaa Seal says, "Are you OK, my dear friend?"

Rudolph looks a bit dizzy but then says, "I'm fine... I guess."

Lynx shouts, "Pekka is not with you."

Rudolph says, "Well, he sure shouldn't. I flew alone."

Then he adds, "He should be here by now. When I last saw him he promised to come here."

Elk sighs, "We are in big trouble now. It's imperative Pekka be present in this meeting."

Rudolph looks puzzled, "That's strange. Pekka is always here for this meeting."

They wait for some time but then they conclude Pekka is not coming.

Whooper Swan says, "Six weeks and it's Christmas again. We really need to find Pekka as soon as possible! We need to arrange a search party."

---

Give suggestions on how to find Magpie.

IN PAIRS OR THREES ANSWER THE NEXT TWO QUESTIONS:

1. What may happen if ALL of them go away from their meeting place?

2. What can they do so they won't make this mistake?

---

---THE STORY CONTINUES HERE---

Brown Bear wonders, "What if he comes here a bit later and none of us is here!"

Saimaa Seal agrees, "You have a point. Some of us have to stay here... But who?"

Then Saimaa Seal adds, "All of you move faster than me. I'll stay here. But who'll accompany me?"

Whooper Swan says, "I'll join you. Both of us like water. And every once in a while I can fly around to check the immediate surroundings to see if Pekka is anywhere near. And if we meet him I'll fly to you and let you know he is with Saimaa Seal, safe and sound."

Brown Bear says, "Rudolph, you'd better lead the way. You know your friend Pekka better than any of us."

Rudolph says, "We'd better go to the city and to the McDonald's. He sticks around there most of his time."