CHAPTER 45

In a lobby at Hong Kong Airport, a group of travellers have gathered together and have a final briefing on the travel arrangements for their trip to Lapland and to Santa Claus' Hideaway.

The group leader says, 'It's + 18 Celsius outside here but it is - 5 in our destination in Rovaniemi. So right now there is a 23-degree difference in the temperature. However the weather forecast says it'll be - 18 by the time we arrive there.

There is a clearly audible 'Oh' to be heard, which prompts him to ask them if any of them have ever experienced any temperatures as cold as that and put up their hands if they have.

Not a single hand was raised.

'Well, there is a first time for everything. The most important thing is you wear warm enough clothes when you get out of the airport there into the frigid air outdoors. I'm happy to tell you if you don't have clothes warm enough with you now, you will be provided with very warm clothes by Santa's keep-you-warm team.'

There is a very long 'Pheeewww' to be heard this time and very relieved expressions to be spotted on the travellers' faces.

'On the other hand your eyelashes may freeze together there. So...'

'May I cancel this trip?'

'Oh you faint-hearted. You are a member of a big, great nation and, besides, your name is Qiangdong (that is, a strong east). So...'

'This is the final call for flight AY102. The passengers are asked to proceed to gate 28 immediately.'

'Sorry, Qiangdong. No time for second thoughts. Let's go to our gate, quickly.

Left, right, left, right, left,...'