CHAPTER 18

The restaurant staff have noticed the commotion and come to the diners' rescue. Wolverine realises it's high time he went out or else... So he slips out of the restaurant and starts sprinting on all fours along the street. The people start shouting at the top of their voices, so horrifying a thing is Wolverine to see!

Soon afterwards a flock of birds springs into the air, dogs here and there dart to their masters and a frightened grandmother grabs her grandchild into her lap. Wolverine runs quickly to the other end of the lawn in the park and disappears into the litchi tree forest.

The weather is getting a bit too warm for him to run around. Panting, he stops, lies down and takes a breather under a litchi tree.

He is lucky it's winter now in the litchi forest because in the summer cicadas make a noise as loud as that of a jet engine. So there is no risk the bad memories of his flight come back to him now. Not that he knows anything about this noise though! He has no experience in it.

While lying under the litchi tree he dreams of Finnish foods and drinks. His mouth starts watering with the idea of a cold glass of water or soda, a cup of coffee and a sweet cardamom roll (korvapuusti). He thinks,

'People here don't seem to value the culinary delights of Finnish foods and drinks.

What's wrong with this place?'

Then he falls asleep and sees a dream:

Wolverine is at the root of a hill and sees a pack of wolves are coming towards him. He starts having a look around to find a place to hide but can't see any just yet. Then he has a quick glance in the direction of the wolves and sees a bear running like crazy in front of the wolves. Wolverine takes another look at the immediate surroundings and sees a big, fallen tree under the roots of which there is a hole, like a little cave, and quickly enters the hole. And waits...

At this point Wolverine wakes up under the litchi tree and wonders what sort of dream it was.

'The wolves were chasing me. What was the bear doing there?'

But he can't figure it out, and so he stands up, shakes his fur and goes on looking for his missing friend. He disappears into the dense forest of skyscrapers and into the never-ending stream of city people.