CHAPTER 39

Santa continues telling about his place,

'Moreover we have beautiful mountain fells where you can try skiing if you like.'

Sorry to interrupt you but that is not a top-priority for Chinese visitors. That's why it's time to talk about food, a very important daily element in Chinese culture. The people who may be coming to Lapland are not used to any other food than Chinese so it may be difficult for them to eat unfamiliar food at first. So they may go about without enough food in their stomachs. And an empty stomach is the food of frustration. Especially in this case because they have suffered from Wolverine's actions. So what food are you planning to offer to them?

It is Christmas when you would be there. So I'd like to offer you a proper Christmas meal. For example, rice porridge,..

Rice porridge? The Chinese like rice.

Good to hear that.

How do you make it?

We cook it in milk.

Milk? in a dairy product?

Yes. Is there a problem?

There may well be. Not very many Chinese stomachs tolerate dairy products.

What about Christmas casseroles? Have a look at these photos of the Christmas casseroles. What do you think? Would these be suitable for them?

You cannot distinguish any ingredient from the rest of the ingredients. They are a big mass of something of a uniform colour all over. I don't think they consider these very appetizing.

So it sounds like Chinese people want to see clearly which of the ingredients are rice, onion, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and so on.

Yes, right to the point. You can mix them though but don't mash them into a one-colour mass where you cannot distinguish them any longer.

Well, in that case you'd better send us a Chinese chef well in advance to help us with the arrangements, to make sure they won't go hungry then. Alongside with Chinese cuisine, we'll also be offering our traditional Christmas cuisine in case any of them wants to explore into this realm of our culture.

I think they will be happy to give it a try but let's not make it their daily bread. They may be too unaccustomed to eating it.

What drinks will you be offering to them?

Many varieties, milk, berry juice, home brewed beer? All comfortably cold from the fridge.

Milk?

Oh sorry, dairy products won't do, as you already mentioned.

Serve them cold? Sorry but we Chinese prefer hot drinks, hot tea or just hot water.

Alright, it seems a Chinese chef will be much needed indeed for the arrangements.

I'll get you one, well in advance.

Hearing this Santa breathes out, 'Great!' ,relieved.

Where will they arrive in Lapland?

Rovaniemi. And my place there is called Santa Claus' Village. My staff will take care of the travel arrangements and your staff will take care of the things like visas, passports, etc in China. Unfortunately we don't have any authority over these issues there. So these will remain your responsibility.

Where will they be staying overnight?

You will be staying in my humble house, being the first ones ever to be in there.

Santa shows some photos of his house, which is by no means a humble one.

Looks magnificent. I think they would be honoured to be there.

You mentioned the word igloos earlier. Can they stay in them too?

Of course. Everything will be arranged to their liking.