CHAPTER 13

Wolverine feels uncomfortable pressure in his ears. He swallows repeatedly to feel better. But it doesn't help so he presses his paws against his ears and feels more at ease.

Then suddenly the pressure's gone. He feels relieved and relaxes. He can only hear loud humming coming from the outside. The monotonous sound makes him fall asleep. It seems the plane has reached its ideal flight height.

In the hustle and bustle of trying to get Magpie back to Finland Wolverine's fine animal friends don't realize their impulsive and headstrong friend Wolverine is missing. Being impatient and knowing where Magpie is he has decided to go get Magpie back to Finland by hiding in the flight cargo to China and is now onboard a plane, destined for Hong Kong.

Wolverine wakes up among the cargo and hears somebody speaking behind the wall.

'Please go back to your own seats and fasten your seat belts. We'll start landing soon. '

The same unpleasant feeling is creeping back in his ears. It is obvious the plane is losing height. Then he hears two powerful metallic sounds. The landing gear, i e the wheels of the airplane, are out from their hiding place, ready to touch the runway.

The plane lands smoothly and taxes to the apron, to unload the passengers and the cargo. The ground crew starts unloading the cargo. The box Wolverine is hiding in jerks to motion.

Wolverine stays quiet and listens. Next the box is lowered on the ground and put in a transport vehicle. When another vehicle comes close to the transport vehicle Wolverine feels his time has come to run and run fast. Sunlight casts a shadow from the other vehicle and he uses the shadow as his cover and manages to run quite a while unnoticed.

A bit further off, by the airplane, an employee unloading the cargo has noticed that a couple of food boxes have been torn open. He is estimating the damage and can see there must be a beast on the loose somewhere inside the plane and sends an alarm signal to the plane crew. The crew enters the cargo hold to check but the only thing they can see is the mess that an unknown beast has left behind.

Soon Wolverine can hear a dog barking at the door of the cargo hold and turns around to check the situation. The security has arrived!

The dog starts sniffing the ground, spots some traces of a beast and starts moving in the direction of Wolverine. But to Wolverine's surprise the dog stops moving. On the tarmac, there is a big kerosene leak that distracts the hound dog.

Wolverine sighs of relief and slips out of the runway to a nearby bush and stays there until dark.