CHAPTER 16

In the meantime Wolverine enters the market place filled with fresh, very lucrative-smelling meat and fish. He grabs a live fish between his sharp teeth, the water splashing out of the box onto a fishmonger. The fishmonger's jaw drops wide open but then he recovers and shouts,

'Stop the thief! Stop the thief!'

The other mongers turn around and see a beast rushing along the aisle between the stalls. A butcher's knife is raised, Wolverine takes a mighty slash at his tail, loses the tip of his tail and gives an ear-piercing squeak. This doesn't stop him though but he runs to the park, stops and devours his pick into his mouth as quickly as possible and stops to listen.

Then he feels a pulsating pain in his mutilated tail and licks the wound.

Finally he recovers from the pursuit and from the pain and remembers why he is in Shenzhen. 'I'm here to find my lost friend Magpie, so I'd better get started.'

Wolverine comes back onto a street nearby and starts jogging down the street. He wishes he might see a glimpse of Magpie but soon realises there are so many people in the streets, so it's difficult to find Magpie among all these busy crowds.

The people around him soon realise he is not a stray dog but a wild beast and they throw things at him. He escapes to the narrow alley. The alley leads him to another big street and he sees there are more and more people around. That's why he darts quickly to a more silent side street and stops to think and lick his injured tail.