CHAPTER 55

Mr Mukula hurries to his son Leo. So does Mrs Zhao to her daughter Qi. Even though Mr Mukula is slightly ashamed of his son's adventure, he doesn't immediately take him closer to him because Santasec has asked the kids to decorate the Christmas tree, which they really do with all their toddler energy for entire sixty seconds. (Quite an accomplishment for any 3-year-old!) So the decorations find their places, with little worry about what any interior designer would say about the arrangement.

Then something more interesting comes to their sight, which demands their whole attention. A domestic cat is strutting across the hall followed by a pet dog, the two of which are soon followed by the two adventurous kids. The cavalcade proceeds from one end of the hall to the other until there is a new development in the sequence of events. Little Qi takes a hold of the cat's tail, which inspires Leo to do the same with the dog. The dog expresses his dissatisfaction but does it in a more subtle and submissive way than the cat, who hisses and exposes his canine teeth to the disturber. Little Qi takes a step backwards, turns around and runs to safety between her mother's legs. Contrary to this, Leo jumps on top of the dog and starts riding it. It's time for Mr Mukula to intervene in this pleasurable ride by lifting up Leo, who keeps struggling against the intruder kicking up in the air. But into his father's lap he lands!

Mrs Zhao states the obvious, 'You've got an energetic son, don't you.'

Mr Mukula just grunts.

However, she doesn't give up and directs his question to the son, 'What's your name?'

He blurts out, 'Leo Leijona.'

'Leo, that's not nice. Tell her the right answer.'

'Leo.'

'Leo, nice to meet you. This is my daughter Qi.'

Leo struggles his way out of his father's grib and runs away, followed by his father and his big sister Maria. Maria manages to calm down her little step brother. So they are back to square one; first steps of getting to know each other.

There are more adventures that evening by Qi and Leo, which won't be further described here. However, these adventures are a blessing in disguise; they serve as icebreakers between Leo's parents and Qi's and the families get to know each other more.

Li Chang and Liu Zeyu, the oldest Chinese boys, are friends several years back so they go back to where they left when getting off the train; the digital games that they like playing. And they sure play them, hours on end.

The Chinese adults, those who are not running after their toddlers, are a bit puzzled at what to do next, whether to have a look around, or go to the dinner table, or just find a seat somewhere else. They know they've been welcomed to the house and asked to feel at home here. But they don't know exactly what it means. Finally, after a little hesitation they choose the safest choice and end up in some cosy sofas by the live fire, which they find fascinating and something out of their big city life.

Mr Li (Jun), military man, says 'It's so quiet here.'

Mrs Zhao (Na) cannot agree more, 'That's true. This makes me a bit worried.'

Mrs Li (Hongling) comments, 'You two are just not used to silence. I've been in Norway for some time, in Oslo, and it was so quiet there even though it is their capital! So I know what peace and quiet is like. I have to admit though this place is at a completely different level of silence.'

Mrs Wang (Hongmei) responds, 'You are right.'

Mrs Zhao (Na) is still worried, 'Will I get crazy because it's so so quiet here?'

Mr Li (Qiangdong), businessman, cracks a joke 'Yes, you will. But don't worry we'll take care of your businesses then.'

Mr Wang (Yong) says to Qiangdong, 'I'll help you.'

They keep on talking about less important matters like that to pass the time. Occasionally, Mr Li (Jun) has to join his wife in pursuit of their little kids but comes back to the sofa, proud as always after each conquered battle, leaving peace keeping to his wife in the meantime.