CHAPTER 53

It's time for a more active phase in the guests' entertaining programme. Christmas is already knocking on the door of Santa's Hideaway and the escort elves are doing the same on the guests' doors. Then the elves walk them from their igloos to the main building through the freezing-cold air. Luckily there is no wind at all.

It is 2 o'clock p.m. but it's gradually getting dark. A gentle blue twilight paints the scenery with mesmerizingly beautiful colours. The guests are stunned by the funny scrunchy sounds under their feet while walking on the snow-covered road. Li Qi, three, youngest of the Chinese team, cannot resist the temptation of taking one step backwards to test if the sound is still there. Tiger, on the other hand, is a bit disturbed by the realisation that here he cannot walk silently as he sure can in the jungle back home in China.

After a couple of minutes' walk they come to the door of the main building which swings open for them. The guests are led into the hallway where Mrs Claus and Mr Claus' brother are already waiting for them.

Mrs Claus says, 'Welcome my dear guests.' and stretches out her right hand, as does Mr Claus' brother, Santa Claus the Second, Santasec for short, and they shake hands.

The guests are a bit puzzled and ask, 'Santa Claus the Second? Where is Santa Claus the... First?'

Mrs Claus explains to them, 'This is Christmas Eve, and tomorrow is Christmas Day, both of which are by far the busiest days in Santa's calendar every year so he won't be able to join us for the Christmas dinner or be present at all, for that matter, during these two days. However, he will be greeting all of us through SantaChats on the big screen by the Christmas tree on the northern wall of this hall later today.'

'Who's going to give us Christmas presents because Santa Claus is not here?!' asks Li Chang, the oldest kid, hastily.

Mrs Claus answers, 'The Second will always second the First, so the presents will be delivered in due respect on behalf of Santa the First. His brother has the full authorisation from Santa Himself to do so. So call Santasec just Santa please.'

Santasec reaches his right hand to Li Chang and says, 'Nice to meet you, Li Chang.'

'You too', answers Li Chang back.

Li Heng, 5, sighs of relief and skips of joy.

After the hand shakes, Li Qiangdong, the oldest man of the Chinese travellers, gives some presents assisted by his wife Wang Hongmei to Santasec and to Mrs Claus, the Chinese way holding the parcel with both hands when passing it to them. Santasec and Mrs Claus express their gratitude with a heartfelt hospitality and ask the guests to make themselves at home.

The head driver, a man of no so few words, who has also joined them, uninvited, for celebrating Christmas, now opens his mouth to say something he has observed and wants to point out to the Chinese who, he knows, favour round tables,

'My dear fellow-passengers, you may wonder why the tables are square here? You know we elves like square-dance so the square tables give us more space to dance while the round ones would occupy more space in this hall.

However, when it comes to dancing around the Christmas tree, we can do that after we have picked up our Christmas presents from under the tree. Then we have enough space to dance around it in a circle. Of course we could have obtained a very huge round table and put that under the Christmas tree but it would have been inconvenient to put that there, don't you think.'

After taking a short breath the head driver keeps on talking,

'I'll be more than happy to introduce the dance around the Christmas...'

'Höpöhöpö.' says the co-driver.

'Why are you interrupting my extensive and well-prepared presentation of our dear Christmas traditions?'

'My dear colleague, we are not in Sweden now. I know your great-great grandfather was a Swedish elf but now we are in Finland. Besides I don't think anybody has asked you to give this presentation. That's why I ask all of you not to pay too much attention to what he says, although some of what he says is true.'

The head driver still keeps on babbling on and on about all kinds of things, not leaving any chance for anybody else to say a single word in edgeways. So Mrs Santa asks a waiter to do her a favour, who then goes to the hallway. Soon after that the butler comes to the head driver and whispers into his ear, 'There is an emergency. Rudolph the Rednosed wants you to check his sleigh. There is a huge video call screen at the stable, so you can see what the problem is and chat with Rudolph. It is a serious technical issue and they want you to help them so all kids in the world can have a merry Christmas. You'd better go there immediately.'

The head driver, who is more than eager to play the role of an expert, excuses himself and leaves them and goes to the stable. When he enters the stable, somebody locks the door from the outside so he cannot get out. A piece of paper is pushed inside through the crack under the door and it says on the paper,

'My dear fellow, you are very knowledgeable but now it's time for the others to have a chance to chat. Enjoy your stay in here. A small Christmas table is laid for you in the stable master's office and the stable elves keep you company.'