CHAPTER 32

'Bloody..., it's raining cats and dogs.' grunts Wolverine to himself. However, he doesn't realise the irony of his comment just yet, although there is a fierce dog and a huge cat somewhere nearby looking for him. Instead, he reacts to his most recent sensation; he feels his belly getting wet, jumps to his feet and peeks out of his hole.

'Can't see, can't hear anything for this thundershower.'

He quickly estimates the imminent danger of drowning in the hole against almost as imminent a danger of encountering the dog and the whatever-other-big-beast-it-is outside somewhere near there. He opts out of the former and charges out with all the notorious determination a wolverine can possess, the one that sometimes makes even big bears wary. He rushes forward five metres, then stops, rushes another five metres and stops. He can feel how the adrenaline is rushing through his veins, then changes his direction and charges another ten metres.

---

'Dragon is down, Dragon is down!' swears Monkey.

Rooster, Kunming and Tiger realise that too because there is no feed from Dragon to be seen on their virtual glasses.

'That bloody thunder hit Dragon and it is in shambles now!'

---

Wolverine stops yet another time and sees he is not facing any resistance. He quickly makes a new estimate of the situation and starts jogging downhill to save energy. After jogging for a few minutes he stops but the only thing he can hear is the heavy rain. So he keeps on jogging for next ten minutes or so through bushes and through thickets to gain more distance from his pursuers. He cannot see much of where he is heading for because of the heavy rain but, so far so good; nothing harmful has come his way.

Suddenly he enters a shelter. There are no raindrops there. But there are a lot of creatures that look exactly the same as the ones who cut his tail tip, who threw stones at him, who sent him away from the ice rink shouting, who...

Wolverine raises hair straight up on the back and exposes his sharp teeth and gives a grating sound that sharply penetrates through all the sounds of the heavy rain in these creatures' ears.

Now it is the other way round; it is their turn to escape, into the heavy rain. So he can take the shelter to himself, occupy it for a while. However, when he is not out of breath any longer, he can hear the rain is dying down, so he exits the shelter and directs his steps to the nearest hill in the opposite direction from the one he just came from.