CHAPTER 48

From behind a snowdrift Wolverine can see some little elves running out from Santa's Hideaway. Then he comes a little closer still hiding behind another snowdrift and can smell how the open door to Santa's Hideaway breathes out amazing Christmas fragrances into the chilly winter air.

Mrs Santa turns around with a rolling pin in her right hand and pulls the door closed with a slam. The captivating puffs of newly baked cardamom rolls, Christmas tarts and gingerbread cookies evaporate into the thin winter air leaving Wolverine with his mouth open and drooling.

At the very same moment the last warm breeze from the closed door flies past Wolverine, leaving him not only hungry but lonely in the bitter winter air. The overwhelming cold attacks him from all directions forcing him back onto all fours. He turns around and jolts onto the nearest hilltop. There he stops, turns around and casts his final glance towards the Hideaway beautifully lit with lights coming through the grilles on the windows and with candles in the lanterns hanging from the white columns of the red porch. Then he turns around again and disappears behind the hilltop into a darkening evening, thinking he might never enter that building again.