CHAPTER 56

Programme of Christmas Eve

Finally the guests get some information about the upcoming events this Christmas Eve. Santasec tells them about four specific events. First, they have some time just relaxing and getting to know each other, second the Christmas sauna, third the Christmas dinner and after that it's time to give out the Christmas presents.

The order of events is not the most traditional one this Christmas due to the guests' late arrival. Santa's household usually have a Christmas sauna before noon followed by the Christmas porridge. At 4 or 5 o'clock they have a habit of eating the Christmas dinner. Then it's time for the "icing on the Christmas cake", time to give the Christmas presents.

Getting to know one another

In today's programme, the first part already got a kick start; some of the kids dragged their parents into their activities, which helped them get to know more about one another's kids and ultimately a bit about one another too.

Christmas sauna

The second part today is the Christmas sauna. For the guests present this is the first time they have any kind of sauna bath. Saunalph is present to initiate them into the secrets of sauna practices. However, Saunalph has modified the sauna practices to suit the situation better. For instance, the guests, not accustomed with public bath nudity, are allowed to wear swimsuits and swimming trunks in the sauna, which is definitely not the custom in Finland.

The first to try a sauna is Mr Li's (Qiangdong) family. Saunalph tells them first to take a shower before they enter the sauna. When they enter the hot room, they wonder there are little towels on the mid-level benches and the one on the top bench.

Saunalph explains,

'The towels lower than mine are for you. I think you had better start on a lower bench and gradually get used to the heat. I would also like to point it out to you that the sauna is a place where you stay quiet most of the time. You can chat though but avoid being loud.'

'Ok, now. Are you ready for the first löyly, the steam that will fill the room when I throw some water on the stones?'

Mr Li nods. The water strikes the hot stones and gives a fierce, hissing sound.

His son tells Saunalph to throw more. This time the fury of the heat lashes their faces with the ferocity that almost makes them fall off their places. Mr Li feels a pinch in his earlobes and so do his wife and his son. They press their palms against their ears and are forced to lie low.

Mr Li urges, 'Let's take it easy, shall we?'

Saunalph agrees, 'Fine by me.'

Then Saunalph produces a bunch of twigs.

Mrs Wang asks, 'Shenme dongxi?' (ie, 'What is it?')

'I think your wife tries to ask me what this is, doesn't she?'

'Yes.'

'Well, this is vasta or vihta in Finnish. These are birch twigs. We use these in the sauna twice a year, every Christmas and every Midsummer.'

Saunalph dips the bunch in the sauna pail containing water and then starts hitting his body with it.

Chang wonders, 'Why are you doing like that?'

'Doesn't this smell good?'

'Yes but does it...?

'Hurt, you mean? Well, not really. Just don't hit too hard. The positive side to it is it does help my blood circulation and makes me sweat more quickly, which cleanses my body better than any soap.'

'Really?'

'Yes, indeed.'

Mr Li asks, 'May I?'

Saunalph passes the bunch to him and he tries it against his skin, first cautiously but then a bit more forcefully.

'Oh, now I can see what you mean. This really makes me feel even hotter. But how can you stay up there on the top bench, throw more water on the hot stones and , to cap it all, hit yourself with this, which makes you feel even hotter? So far I prefer staying down here.'

'You'll get used to the heat if you keep going to the sauna every week. Then you'll want to take the top bench. And eventually start liking the hotter air and then you can't live without it any longer. But it's never wise to stay in this heat too long, 10 to 15 min max. So let's go to the porch.'

Mr Li complains, 'It's cold there.'

'Well, it's not that bad because your body is a bit overheated now. Come on, let's go.'

So they go to the porch and sit down on the bench. The steam rises from their hot bodies into the cold air. Saunalph points to a star and sighs of comfort, 'I wonder if that is the Christmas Star.'

'Christmas Star?'

'It's the star that led the three wise men from the east to the new-born baby Jesus, who was later called Christ too. That's why we have Christmas.'

'Is Christmas a big celebration in Finland?'

'Yes, actually it is the biggest celebration each year. The next biggest is probably Midsummer.'

'And you said you use this bunch at Christmas and at Midsummer.'

'That's right. You are a good listener, Chang.'

'Call me John.'

'John?'

'Yes, we also have English names. You foreigners can't pronounce our Chinese names properly. It's easier that way.'

'Okay.'

'Well, John, what big holidays do you have?'

'Well, our biggest celebration is Chinese New Year. Thanks to it we have a month's holiday from school.'

'Really, what month?'

'It starts at the end of next month.'

'January?'

'Yes. But it can also start in February. Very seldom at the beginning of March.'

'Oh. Why?'

'It follows our lunar calendar, which is different from your Western calendar.'

'I see. I need to get to know more about your lunar calendar later.'

'Did you see that?'

'What? Where?'

'There.'

'Isn't that a shooting star? Make a wish and it'll come true.'

'Oh, really?'

Mrs Wang asks her son, 'What did you wish?'

'I'm not going to tell you that. It is a secret.'

'Now that our bodies have cooled down a bit we can roll in the snow before going back inside into the hot room. Who's the first to dare face the challenge?'

Mr Li abandons the suggestion immediately, 'Thanks but no thanks. I'll pass.'

Mrs Wang, however, is adventurous enough and follows Santalph's example.

She has to admit though that the snow is pretty darn cold and retreats quickly back to the heat of the sauna.

'Chang, sorry John, how 'bout you?'

'Not my cup of tea, Santalph.'

'Okay. Let's get back in, shall we.'

Then Santalph wonders how the next family will like ice-swimming but then concludes they, being hot-climate people, may not embrace the idea.

After a couple of hours all the Chinese guests have had their sauna. They feel relaxed and may be brave enough next time to climb to the top bench, hit themselves with birch twigs, roll in the snow or, to top it off, take a dip in the ice cold water. Anyway the sauna experience was really something out of their ordinary lives.