CHAPTER 68

31 DECEMBER

The last full day of their stay in the winter wonderland has dawned for the guests. They wake up late and have brunch. Then they pack most of their things for tomorrow's departure home.

The day passes by chatting and talking about the highlights of their stay, occasionally, eating and getting ready to receive a new year out in the wild.

At six o'clock pm Finnish time, their friends back in China, has just left the previous year behind and are looking forward to exploring into the new year. In Finland there are still 6 hours to go before the new year is there. In cities the most eager have already launched their first rockets up in the air, while in the deep forests of Santa's Hideaway an all-embracing silence prevails.

The weather is just perfect for aurora-gazing. However there are some dark clouds over their trip deeper into the woods. The weather forecast predicts there is a 30 % probability of a storm tonight.

Mr Li, their group leader, gathers all the Chinese together and says, 'The storm is not very likely to come. And we haven't seen the Northern Lights yet. Let's go see them, take photos and show them to our relatives back home in China!'

Despite the guide trying to dissuade them from going out into the woods tonight because of a possible storm, the Chinese guests insist they try their luck. Mr Li, spokesman for the guests, stays adamant and states,

'You said if we stayed here more than a week it'd be very likely we could see the Aurora Borealis. We have been here now for a week, so our chances are quite great to see them. So we'll start making the last preparations for the aurora-spotting trip.'

The guide sighs with resignation and concludes, 'So it's been settled then. You just sign this disclaimer and we are good to go.'

Some time later they set off.

Now they have been going deeper into the woods for an hour or so, and it's time to stop and check the situation.

'The weather is good, isn't it.' says Mr Li to the guide.

The guide answers, 'At least so far.'

Mr Li adds, 'Beautiful, starlit sky. No clouds to prevent us from seeing the Northern Lights.'

The guide can feel the change in the weather; it has started breezing. It may bring a storm with it. But he sees no point in mentioning it; Mr Li's stubbornness is certain to prevent him from listening to anything discouraging them from pursuing the Aurora. They firmly believe it's a now-or-never chance for him, and his companions, to see them.

Near the cavalcade of the snowmobiles and the sleighs, there is a beast licking its claws and lying in wait. It has come out of his dugout despite the terrible storm. The hunger must have forced it out and it may even have a few hungry cubs whining to get some food.

Because of Mr Li's persistence the guide gives in and asks the guests to mount the snowmobiles and the sleighs. It's high time they started climbing up to the top of the hill just ahead to have an excellent view on the top in all directions.

The beast wonders why the cavalcade stops but then realises they start moving again. It starts following them in their wake but doesn't go too close to be detected. At intervals, It keeps on running and lying low, to get closer, to stay undetected and to check the situation.

While climbing uphill, the wind gets stronger, the stars disappear behind the cloudy sky and it starts snowing.

The guide stops the cavalcade and says to Mr Li, 'You can see the weather is getting bad. We've got to turn back.'