Chapter 3: School

A week later I go to school as I had promised. I am done doing auditions. This isn't what I want to be my future. I need freedom, and my parents never give it to me.

When I walk in, some people turn around, whispering to the person next to them. I already know the story...

Madelaine is back, why would that be? Why would a person as Madelaine go to a public school? She barely shows up.

They are right though, most of the time I'm not in school and get tutored by an awful woman who travels with me from country to country. I can't stand her. She doesn't care about my adduction, only about the fat payslip my father gives her every month.

I ignore the filthy looks when I walk to my classroom, twenty minutes early. By the window, a boy with dark hair and a leather jacket sits on the window seal, reading a book. A smile appearing on my face.

'I made it', I say. He looks up at me, smiling a little. 'And this time you don't even wear a dance outfit, you're making progress', Jess notices, mocking me as always.

'I figured it would be better to leave it at home'. We stare at each other for a while, feeling the tension in my stomach when he gives me that certain look. I am just a stupid girl.

'They are giving you a hard time, aren't they?', he says, pointing at the hallway. 'How did you notice?'

'Everyone is talking about it, some of them not that enthusiastic', he says carefully, putting his book away. When I say nothing he jumps of the window seal, getting closer to me.

'They are only jealous of the career you are building. Don't let it bother you'. 'I quit', I quickly admit, my voice higher than I want. He steps back a little, not quite following. 'What did your parents say?'

'I haven't told them yet', I answer while panic raises up. He can see the fear in my eyes and comes closer to lay his hand on my shoulder.

'They don't know you are in school?' he guesses and I nod in agreement. 'I told them I would train in our ballet school', I admit, feeling relieved to tell someone the truth.

'They'll find out', he remarks. 'I don't care'. Jess smirks at me when the bell rings and other students walk in. Giving both of us hateful looks. I take a seat at the desk closest to me, seeing Jess opening his book again, not willing to pay attention.

'Honestly, now she is back for a week until she has another interview.' I hear a girl whispering behind me. As if I'm not even here. 'And then she decides to hang out with a boy like that', another one adds disapproving, probably meaning Jess.

I turn my head to him, looking for support but he doesn't even notice what is happening.

'What happened after her last audition that she decided to come back?' A boy joins the conversation, giving me chills. 'Probably a scandal we will read about on the internet'. And the gossip is going on and on...

This will be a long day.